Choosing the right frame material

Status
Not open for further replies.

cojaro

Reaction score
I know robert's bike was made of 3/4" pipe, but i don't have access to a pipe bender, so tubing is my only way.

My question is, would 1/2" (or 3/4") alum. tubing work, or would it not be strong enough? And if alum. tubing is too weak, is copper tubing any stronger?

frank

Reaction score
I think i can bend copper with my hands... and i dont know if alminum can be welded

cojaro

Reaction score
frank said:
I think i can bend copper with my hands... and i dont know if alminum can be welded
Alum. can't be welded? I'm pretty sure most metals can be welded.

And yeah, copper and alum tubing is more malleable than steel pipe, but it didn't seem to be so much so that a copper/alum frame would warp.

Reaction score
cojaro said:
I know robert's bike was made of 3/4" pipe, but i don't have access to a pipe bender, so tubing is my only way.
You mean Alum tubing is the only way (so that you can bend it?)

If you can't find a bender ($70 at harbor freight) then I'd just use square and have a frame that doesn't have any bends. All sharp angles.

To weld aluminum you'll need a mig welder with special gas, and aluminum wire. For that cost, you can buy a bender. OR, find a place that will bend tubing for you cheap.

cojaro

Reaction score
robertdjung said:
cojaro said:
You mean Alum tubing is the only way (so that you can bend it?)

If you can't find a bender ($70 at harbor freight) then I'd just use square and have a frame that doesn't have any bends. All sharp angles.

To weld aluminum you'll need a mig welder with special gas, and aluminum wire. For that cost, you can buy a bender. OR, find a place that will bend tubing for you cheap.
What about steel conduit? I noticed that to bend those, one only needs the cheap $30-70 manual benders. That seems to be the route as of now

jrjulien1

Reaction score
i think that aluminum is not a good idea because of the chalanges in welding it {and its expensive} because even if you did get the frame bent up you would still need to weld other things to the frame and as for steel conduit im not sure what that it unless its the correguated stuff which if thats the cast its BUTT UGLY and i wouldnt go that way in my oppinion the cheepest way to go even if it dosent look as clean as round tubing is to do square steel tube and sharp angles and if you wanted to dress it up a little just turn the backbone of the frame and the downtube on edge to make it look a little cooler

ps. copper is NOT very strong and i do not suggest using it to make your frame out of as it would probably break as soon as you sat on it if not then certainly soon after

just my oppinion

jrjulien1

Reaction score
i agree with robert its just better to use whats allready been tried and tested rather than trying to use things that wernt ment to be put under this kind of strain

cojaro

Reaction score
robertdjung said:
I've heard that you can use rigid conduit --- but I wouldn't. 30 MPH + metal failure = pain.
So I guess I'll go with steel pipe, bending it with the cheap non-hydraulic pipe bender that I can find at Home Depot (the manual kind). I'm going to be using 1/2" pipe since my bike is somewhat smaller, to accomodate my smaller person (5'3").

seney2

Reaction score
HF pipe bender may kink or flatten the pipe... if it does you can cork one end with wood or rubber and fill it with sand. Take a angle grinder or other tool and hold it against the side of the pipe.... this will vibrate the sand tight in the pipe... cork the other end and then bend it....

DO NOT ADD HEAT TO A SAND FILLED PIPE! Sand holds moisture..... moisture + heat = steam which = pressure which = BOOOOM

Status
Not open for further replies.