Chain-driven Turbocharger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-Speedy-212-x

●▬▬▬▬▬๑&
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMw81PMvKHw

Came across this and thought it was interesting. Just keep in mind on normal 5+ liter(5000 cc) v8 engines it needs to spin 50,000 rpm just to get 9psi. These 212cc engines are only .212 Liters

The sprocket i counted to have 12 teeth (about 1.5 inch) and it may possibly need a jackshaft to increase the gearing on the supercharger itself to provide boost.

Supercharger gearing aside, oiling would be necessary and placing a secondary carburetor in front of the compressor inlet would be needed for draw-through for when the boost kicks on. And fuel pump.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah, but those huge superchargers are so ridiculously humongous that it probably wouldn't want to rev up, plus you'd have to underdrive it a lot.
And by then, with all the extra weight, complexity, and cost, I'd much rather have a quick revving, powerful naturally aspirated engine.

Or you could just put an AMR300 roots type(I know Sid will pop in and harp on me that it's not technically a supercharger, but whatever) supercharger on it, for maybe ~$250-$300 total, and thrash it!
Plus AMR300s are made for ~300cc engines, so even at a 1:1 drive ratio, they can develop a considerable amount of boost.
Plus, AMR300s are filled with oil, so that's a HUGE plus for these splash lube engines.

Why not just have a draw through setup from the get-go? Why only a secondary set up for draw through? A fuel pump might not even be needed.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Wonder if chain driving it would technically make it a centrifugal supercharger then. You would have to severally under drive it to get it going that fast.

anickode

Reaction score
Wonder if chain driving it would technically make it a centrifugal supercharger then. You would have to severally under drive it to get it going that fast.

Yes, a centrifugal supercharger.

Turbos and centrifugal supercharger compressors spin on the order of 100,000+ rpm. You ain't getting that out of a chain and sprockets. Centrifugal superchargers are internally geared to achieve that.

You could spin it slower, but it won't build any pressure. At 10k rpm, you might be equivalent to a hair dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.