Carter brothers 1435 assistance needed

Atrocity

Reaction score
Recently bought a carter 1435

And need assistance with jack shaft
Purchased the cart not knowing what i was getting into figured it was turn key.. but i was wrong.
The previous owner had the moto mounted where the jack shaft plate should go.
The torque converter bumped the rail and through the chain off at an angle. I am looking to get it back to its origional state. Any help would be appreciated.

I am ready to ride. And a 600 dollar project isnt what i was expecting

Attachments

• 20221127_104435.jpg
    20221127_104435.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
What kind of condition is that axle sprocket in? Owner was using a POS Chinee spring-loaded tensioner because the motor was locked in place in the 4 bolt holes, couldn't slide to adjust the chain tension, likely skipped enough to wear out those teeth.
The previous owner had the moto mounted where the jack shaft plate should go.
Mount the motor on its proper mounting plate. You'll have to fab up something to mount on top of those horizontal bars, a strong plate that can bolt right on, probably will need to hang out further back than rear bar. Then fab mounts on top of it for 2 bearings, stick a shaft through them, put the driven pulley on the right end, and a sprocket on the left end, and voila! . Plate will need slots in it for the jackshaft to adjust chain tension, while matching that adjustment with the motor's slots to keep belt tension correct.

Atrocity

Reaction score
What kind of condition is that axle sprocket in? Owner was using a POS Chinee spring-loaded tensioner because the motor was locked in place in the 4 bolt holes, couldn't slide to adjust the chain tension, likely skipped enough to wear out those teeth.

Mount the motor on its proper mounting plate. You'll have to fab up something to mount on top of those horizontal bars, a strong plate that can bolt right on, probably will need to hang out further back than rear bar. Then fab mounts on top of it for 2 bearings, stick a shaft through them, put the driven pulley on the right end, and a sprocket on the left end, and voila! . Plate will need slots in it for the jackshaft to adjust chain tension, while matching that adjustment with the motor's slots to keep belt tension correct.
I cut the 18 guage steel plate he had welded on.
Top i added the 1x1 the other day but after mocking up yesterday the torque converter plate seems warped and the teeth are out of line.. so i was hoping to find another jack shaft housing like this one is supposed to have but bmi stated they where no longer made

Atrocity

Reaction score
As well as he had the chain like 4 inches to long and was using a home made tensioner

Atrocity

Reaction score
Parts finally came in..
Modified a jacklplate for a yerfdog from bmi need to add slots and weld it on will be mounted under bars and the old 1x1 will be removed and will be welding the holes closed

Attachments

• 20221206_173839.jpg
    20221206_173839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Great progress, glad you got a proper basis for a jackshaft. Weld the holes closed? Thought only splatter-welding hole-blowing bumblers like me had gotten good at welding holes closed. It's an artform.

Atrocity

Reaction score
Great progress, glad you got a proper basis for a jackshaft. Weld the holes closed? Thought only splatter-welding hole-blowing bumblers like me had gotten good at welding holes closed. It's an artform.

Thankful for grinding disks.