Carbide 150cc - New Build

tlbeck1985

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm thinking about buying my buddy's Carbide 150 off of him, and it needs a new engine. I've built cars/trucks before, but never a kart. I guess these have a cvt transmission and I'm totally unsure of what engine I can/should use to replace it? He wants $500 for it, and I could throw a $300 predator engine in it for the kids, but I want to make sure that would be compatible. Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I could build a brand new kart w/out engine for $500. Or maybe I actually could build it with an engine for that.
EDIT: No I could not with an engine. Misunderstood what a 150cc was for them. Just looked at it on gokartsusa.com, $2,800 for a new one with all the goodies. $500 would get you a new frame and wheels if I were to do it, that's about it.

Last edited:

Karttekk

Reaction score
One of these engines should work. Talk to them.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Forget the Predator idea, not worth pursuing. These engines should basically plug and play. If the buggy is in decent shape you'll have a nice machine.

Karttekk

Reaction score
American Landmaster no longer offers the Carbide but Hammerhead Offroad (now owned by Polaris) and Trailmaster still offer a 150cc buggy type kart. Parts are readily available, at least for the foreseeable future.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you buy a used Carbide 150, open the link Karttekk just provided above (starts "assets.american........").
Print out the electrical schematic on page 9, and don't lose it. Never been an auto mechanic by trade, but something tells me that with it showing a generator, CDI, voltage regulator, a resistor, a relay, etc., that you will need it for certain. Doesn't look like an average setup to me. Schematics are worth their ink in gold dust when you need it and can't find it.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Question: About those $700 (no carb, muffler, or air filter) engines for the 150, I'll just call them GY6 engines. The above link shows the specs on that motor as having its BHP (9hp) rated at 7,500 rpm, not to mention the torque (13ft/lbs) rated at 5,500 rpm.
Anybody know if that means the motor comes completely ungoverned? And if they'll actually spin up 7,500 rpm w/out adding hotrod parts?

Snaker

Reaction score
Well, those things are scooter oriented, or maybe better to say they have scooter lineage
Some of the scooter's were governed, some not
Usually governed through rpm "detection" within the CDI and some through drivetrain speed(rpm/speedometer pickup at the CVT driven pulley).
Would result in spark stutter in CDI.
One of the scooter gimmicks is to bypass the governed signal or get a aftermarket CDI without the feature.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Didn't think to ask why the kart needs a new engine. Did it throw a rod through the block? Spin a crank bearing? Does it smoke excessively? If excess smoking is the issue you can replace the cylinder, cylinder head, piston & rings and new gaskets for under $100.00. Relatively easy fix.