Car 12 V wiper / Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

snicksname

Reaction score
Hello,

I found that some people modify starter motors for use in electric bar stools.

Had anyone done this.

As well, If I only want a slow car, would a windshield wiper motor work?

thanks
Lantz

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I have modified a starter motor, but it's kinda difficult. A wiper motor probably wouldn't have the torque to make anything decent out of.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kibble, when you get a chance, can you post more info on modifying a starter engine? email me maybe we can do a full article on it. info@diygokarts.com

snicksname

Reaction score
12v motors

Thanks guys.

I may try it if I can find a free one about. I have lots of time as my frame is just in process.

I was also wondering about the motors from electric tools for a low speed application. I am thinking that these would be less powerful than even a windshield wiper motor.

What sent me down this path was seeing the insignificant motors that come in the little walmart bought ride on toys.

snicksname

Reaction score
Motors and more motors.

I perhaps should have mentioned that my cart will mainly be for my 6 year old boy who will have to grow into speed as he is a bit of a devil.

On another note, I have a line on a working 3 wheel scooter for 100 dollars. What would I need to know about this route?

thanks and happy holidays

snicksname

Reaction score
no go on the wheel chair

The chair had a light duty 12 volt motor as it was an indoor light duty job. As well, it was in a state where I could see that it worked.

Anyway, I found some very heavy duty 12 volt fan motors that I hope to gear 10/1 that will give me about 6mph. the fan has a 3/8 or 1/2 inch shaft that will make it easy to add a gear. They were on clearance for 6 bucks at princess auto.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Electric trials...

If this helps, great! I took a heater-blower motor from a Cadillac, attached a 1" diameter roller to the shaft, and used it to move my 10 speed bike by having it rub on the rear tire. Using 12volts, it would sloooowly accelerate to about 12mph with my fat (200lb) tail on it. A friend tried an old electric wheelchair motor on a bike and hit about 25mph using 24 volts. Our best, most sought after motors come from those cordless electric mowers you find at yard sales... etc. They put out a minimum of 3hp and my friend got thrown on his tail TWICE when he ran one without a speed controller on his 3-wheel bike. (Flip the switch... Flip the bike!) It ran at a very torquey 14mph on 12 volts and did a little over 23mph on 24 volts. I really wish we took pix of this stuff, but we didn't sorry.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I will be making a how-to soon about how to modify a starter motor so that it will do forward/reverse. I need to get my hands on a starter first though from the junkyard or somewhere.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been able to get my hands on a starter yet, especially these past few weeks, plus I've been getting calls like crazy from people needing computer help (AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!). I have like no time to do anything for myself and I haven't even worked on my kart :-(

I posted a wanted ad on freecycle and checked craigslist to see if maybe someone could hook me up with a starter motor but nobody's said anything. I guess I'll have to go to the junkyard when I find some time. I probably won't be able to until next weekend though.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I finally got a stater today and I will be moding it soon. Be on the lookout for a thread on moding a starter motor.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Well I'm done modifying the starter and I took lots of pics of the process. I'm gonna be working on the how-to document, but I don't know if I should make it a thread, a pdf or a word/openoffice document. Any suggestions?

Pito- all I did was modify the starter so that it's able to spin forward and reverse, I did not mount it to anything. I don't currently have any plans to mount it on something. I just did it for those that want to know how to make use of a starter.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Kibble, I'd write a new thread and upload all the photos. Also, we can make it part of the full site. Can't wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.