Can’t find a solid steel 1-1/4 in axle

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I've been having similar issues as well, mostly finding the hollowed axles in that size. May have to contact a machine shop and either bring them a piece of round stock in the length and a bit over the diameter you need (start around a 1 1/2" or 2") and have it turned down and have a key way cut as well as having it threaded. Might be more expensive, but I've checked BMI karts, OMB WAREHOUSE, Go Power Sports, Azusa Engineering. 1" solid axles are easier to find these days and 1 1/4".

anickode

Reaction score
You probably won't find one specifically as a go kart axle, but you should be able to get 1¼" keyed shaft material from a supply house. It'll cost a pretty penny, but you can get it.

Reaction score
I honestly might try a solid aluminum one and see if it bends because it would be around 1/4 of the cost of the keyed shafting by the time I had it threaded. I have 6 axle hangers and bearings anyway so hopefully that will help.

ol'joe

Reaction score
Your local business called "bearing, belt and chain" should have the shafting on hand that is grooved for the key. I have spotted cold roll shafting in the local BBC stores that has been milled for the key.

I would be interested in what you are quoted for the job from a machine shop, because I have a shop sitting idle most of the time.....thanks.....Joe

Reaction score
Your local business called "bearing, belt and chain" should have the shafting on hand that is grooved for the key. I have spotted cold roll shafting in the local BBC stores that has been milled for the key.

I would be interested in what you are quoted for the job from a machine shop, because I have a shop sitting idle most of the time.....thanks.....Joe
$270 would have been the total cost so if I remember right around $50 for the threading. I can get the aluminum for $80 thinking it might be worth a shot.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
To be honest, an aluminum axle will probably not hold up to abuse and that much power. RBG is breaking 1/4" keys in 30hp modded engines. On top of that, steel and aluminum do not go well together, galvanic corrosion will make the aluminum weaker over time.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Would probably have to be one from like a Chinese 125cc quad. A Yamaha Blaster or even a Banshee axle will be stupid expensive, like around $350. Here's my thoughts, upsides it'll hold a lot of power, downside is, you may need to run #520 or #530 sprockets unless you can find #428 sprockets that will fit. You'll be limited on sprocket size on the axle so you'll need jackshaft gear reduction to get you the optimal ratio. On the upside, you'll have a pretty decent selection of tires and wheels since the aftermarket is HUGE.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Would probably have to be one from like a Chinese 125cc quad. A Yamaha Blaster or even a Banshee axle will be stupid expensive, like around $350. Here's my thoughts, upsides it'll hold a lot of power, downside is, you may need to run #520 or #530 sprockets unless you can find #428 sprockets that will fit. You'll be limited on sprocket size on the axle so you'll need jackshaft gear reduction to get you the optimal ratio. On the upside, you'll have a pretty decent selection of tires and wheels since the aftermarket is HUGE.

I've seen atv axles for sale on the local buy and sell for $150 and under, a Chinese axle isnt going to cut it (too much power, more than my LT250R in fact!), going to have go with name brand in my opinion. A Banshee axle WOULD work but yes Banshee parts are very expensive as it's a highly sought after machine!

A Suzuki ltz400, honda TRX series or comparable axle should be reasonably priced, easy to find and handle the power. I actually have a #40 sprocket on a ATV (Champion 6.5hp and CVT drivetrain), I had to use a hole saw to open up the center bore and drill the mounting holes but it's been working fine so far. The #40 blank sprocket was easily and cheaply obtained, I used my drill press but know I could've done it by hand if it were my only option. All I'm saying is that the sprocket is not the huge hurdle to cross, the bearing carrier and fabbing up a mounting solution would be for alot of people.

Yet on the other hand a 1-1/4" overhead door shaft can (and do) handle thousands of pounds of torsional energy on a constant basis and I'd feel confident they could handle even a heavy cart (especially only being a 5 foot shaft), it would be 10 times cheaper and easier too (even after machining threads) so the choice is clear in my mind.... buuuut a ATV axle opens up so many options for good wheels, tires and brakes... I'm feeling a little conflicted here! Lol

Reaction score
I am already running a 520 chain since im usining an EX500 motorcycle engine but my issue with an atv axle is they are just too short. I need one around 50inches minimum and I got a pair of 24x11-12 AT389 on a 4x4 bolt pattern for super cheap on craigslist. I already purchased the aluminum if it doesn't hold I am going to have a machine shop do the threads on the carbon steel shafting. As far as the keys I have not had any issues with them breaking but I run quality lock collars on all of my keys. I previously ran it on a 1in axle with out issues but the axle is all rusted so its time for a change. I'm pretty sure RBG broke the key because he didn't install it properly as he admitted in the video if I recall correctly.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Yet on the other hand a 1-1/4" overhead door shaft can (and do) handle thousands of pounds of torsional energy on a constant basis and I'd feel confident they could handle even a heavy cart (especially only being a 5 foot shaft), it would be 10 times cheaper and easier too (even after machining threads) so the choice is clear in my mind.... buuuut a ATV axle opens up so many options for good wheels, tires and brakes... I'm feeling a little conflicted here! Lol

If the aluminum axle breaks I will go for some custom 1-1/4 threaded shafting. Luckily I have dual front brakes and 2 sets of good rear tires one in 24 and one set off 22s. Thank you guys for the help. One of the main reasons I wanted to try the aluminum is I just want to get my buggy out soon, and if it breaks after a few runs oh well. Fingers Crossed. I will update this thread with the fate of the aluminum axle:roflol:

mckutzy

Reaction score
Why 1-1/4"??? Thats alot of steel....
1" shaft should be plenty strong enough, why not instead??...