Can I shorten hubs?

Gomofast

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here, so be gentle, lol. My kids and I are rebuilding an old homemade kart. I bought these hubs to use on the front... https://www.mfgsupply.com/az2477.html

I should have measured before buying because the hubs are 3" long but it turns out the front spindles on the kart are only 2.5". I'm thinking that I can remedy this by shortening the hubs. I would pull the outside bearing, cut down the hub by 0.5" and then press the bearing back in.

Has anybody ever done this? Any reason why it wouldn't work? Seems like it would be fine to me.

I appreciate any thoughts/insight on this.

Thanks,
Scott

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Or you could just get spindles the right length..................
Spindles for 5/8" axle dia for Go Karts | Go Kart & Mini Bike Parts | MFG Supply
Complete Spindle Set - 4-1/2" x 5/8" | 421400 | BMI Karts And Parts
You might be able to cut across those hubs perfectly square, but you first need to pop out a bearing and see if the hubs are the same I.D. further on inside. If they are, you might even consider cutting out a section between outside face and hub center, no need to be perfect, just close, and weld it back together again. Bearings go back in where they were made to. Grind smooth and spray cold galvanize on it.

redflash

Reaction score
if you remove the bearing....then you can shorten that side of the hub. I have done it with no problems at all just cut or grind the hub
flat and re drive in the bearing....voila

da flash

Gomofast

Reaction score
if you remove the bearing....then you can shorten that side of the hub. I have done it with no problems at all just cut or grind the hub
flat and re drive in the bearing....voila

da flash
That's what I was thinking, thanks.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you cut the hubs, make sure it won't make the tire hit the frame anywhere when fully turning the wheel. It would be tempting to cut the inboard side of the hub because the lugs wouldn't be in your way on that side. If it looks like it might hit the frame cutting it like that, just cut the outboard side of the hub. Inside clearance wouldn't be changed at all.

Gomofast

Reaction score
If you cut the hubs, make sure it won't make the tire hit the frame anywhere when fully turning the wheel. It would be tempting to cut the inboard side of the hub because the lugs wouldn't be in your way on that side. If it looks like it might hit the frame cutting it like that, just cut the outboard side of the hub. Inside clearance wouldn't be changed at all.
Yup, was planning to cut the outboard side because I don't want to mess up the clearance of the tires on the frame & steering arms.

anderkart

Reaction score
Have you already removed one of the bearings and looked inside?

I was wondering if it's just a hollow tube inside, or if it has some sort of internal spacer to support the outer races of the 2 bearings?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Curious about the inside of it myself. Bearing clearly has a "flange" to stop it from falling in, but it sure doesn't look like much of one. A shoulder of some sort inside would allow the use of a flangeless bearing, a nice bonus, but I think more importantly that could mean the cylinder is thicker walled from that point on in. Can't ever make it too strong for my OCD worrying.

Millwright

Reaction score
Are those typically used on gokarts?
I passed on a few cheaper wheel options that had that style of bearing. Just thinking I needed something more heavy duty.

Gomofast

Reaction score
I did it this morning. Just a hollow tube inside. Same ID the whole way, no shoulder or anything. I pulled the outer bearings, used a cut off wheel to remove 7/16 of an inch from the end of the tube, cleaned it up a bit on the grinder, and then pop the bearings back in. Easy peasy.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I hope you cut and put back in the tube to keep from crushing or pulling apart the wheel bearings when tightening the axle nut.

Gomofast

Reaction score
I hope you cut and put back in the tube to keep from crushing or pulling apart the wheel bearings when tightening the axle nut.
Not sure what you mean. I pulled the outer bearing, cut the tube, and then pressed the bearing back in.