Burned up Centrifugal Clutch

medic6947

Reaction score
I am doing a go kart build with a Predator 420cc motor. Actually I'm trying to fix a project I bought. I used a centrifugal clutch with chain sprocket with the chain going directly to the drive axle. I got things running, however when I gave it throttle the clutch just spun didn't engage. Next thing I know there are hella sparks coming from the clutch and the house was glowing red. Any ideas what I might be missing......

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I am doing a go kart build with a Predator 420cc motor. Actually I'm trying to fix a project I bought. I used a centrifugal clutch with chain sprocket with the chain going directly to the drive axle. I got things running, however when I gave it throttle the clutch just spun didn't engage. Next thing I know there are hella sparks coming from the clutch and the house was glowing red. Any ideas what I might be missing......
Predator 420s are big, powerful motors, and need a torque converter in most cases. These things run 40 series torque converters. What are you running it on? Tire size, kart type (off road, racing, etc), and use. :welcome2:

medic6947

Reaction score
Predator 420s are big, powerful motors, and need a torque converter in most cases. These things run 40 series torque converters. What are you running it on? Tire size, kart type (off road, racing, etc), and use. :welcome2:

Attachments

• 20230530_181140.jpg
    20230530_181140.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230530_181129.jpg
    20230530_181129.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230530_181156.jpg
    20230530_181156.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31

medic6947

Reaction score
I am basically building it for use around our hill side property. Gravel roads, grass, dirt, mud etc.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I am basically building it for use around our hill side property. Gravel roads, grass, dirt, mud etc.
Then it needs a torque converter (referred to as TC often). A TC gives you better low end, higher top speed, and doesn’t burn out like a clutch. With tall tires no clutch can work, especially on your terrain. Others here very knowledgeable on TCs, they can help you out with installation.

panchothedog

Reaction score
medic6947. With 22" tall tires there isn't a centrifugal clutch on the planet that is going to last 5 minutes. You need a 40 series torque converter. It looks like you have enough room to run a plate system. That is where the Jack shaft is mounted to a plate that bolts directly to the engine. A compact and clean set-up. Very few of the vendors will tell you that you need to run a reverse wound spring in the driven unit, or flip the unit around. Usually not enough room to do that without getting into alignment issues. Also with tires as tall as yours, you need a 60 tooth axle sprocket. Hard to tell from the picture of yours is that big.
It would probably be a good idea to watch a few videos explaining the installation and use of the 40 series torque converter. I recommend the ones made by Red Beards Garage. I'm sure there are others, but there also some real hatchet jobs. ALL of the ones by RBG are serious and educational.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
If that thing WAS a go kart, it would likely go like a bat out of hell. But gee whiz, that ATV-buggy thing is a CHONKER.

You also need atleast a 6:1 gear ratio. That means 10 tooth drive sprocket with a 60 tooth axle sprocket.

OR a combination thereof that gets you to a halfway decent gear ratio. It's the math that matters so whatever tooth count gets you to 5:1, 6:1 even 7:1.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Hellion. Do you have something against the bigger karts. Most of them do resemble buggies, but when folks speak about buggies they are always talking about a Volkswagen powered and or nowadays many other engine types, but none the less a much larger vehicle. The larger 2 seat karts ( of which I own 4 )
are still powered by and in most cases the same drive train as a go kart. Basic
industrial ( lawnmower ) engines and some sort of automatic clutch. And like the very original basic small ridged frame go kart serve only one purpose. To give enjoyment and pleasure to the participant. I would venture to guess that at
least 1/3, and maybe even approaching 1/2 of the VEHICLES on this forum fall into that category.Never considered myself to be a Chonker owner. Call me anything but that.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Hellion. Do you have something against the bigger karts. Most of them do resemble buggies, but when folks speak about buggies they are always talking about a Volkswagen powered and or nowadays many other engine types, but none the less a much larger vehicle. The larger 2 seat karts ( of which I own 4 )
are still powered by and in most cases the same drive train as a go kart. Basic
industrial ( lawnmower ) engines and some sort of automatic clutch. And like the very original basic small ridged frame go kart serve only one purpose. To give enjoyment and pleasure to the participant. I would venture to guess that at
least 1/3, and maybe even approaching 1/2 of the VEHICLES on this forum fall into that category.Never considered myself to be a Chonker owner. Call me anything but that.
He's a stickler for terminology, but I like him anyway. I'd say the definition of go kart is A recreational vehicle of small size capable of moving two or less people at a fun speed, loosely based on the chassis layout of a rear engine car, with an automatic transmission, chain drive, and typically powered by an industrial engine. There are plenty of exceptions to this, but it's the best I could come up with.

medic6947

Reaction score
You also need atleast a 6:1 gear ratio. That means 10 tooth drive sprocket with a 60 tooth axle sprocket.

So I have a 14 tooth on the crank n 37 on the axle. So with a TC what size sprockets would be needed or a possible suggestion on a kit....

panchothedog

Reaction score
medic. Your current gearing is TERRIBLE. Barely 2&1/2 to 1. 37 devided by 14.
Most 40 series torque converters will come with a 10 tooth and a 12 tooth sprocket. You need to get a 60 tooth for your axle and use the 10 tooth that comes with the converter. Did you watch any videos about the installation and use of the 40 series torque converter? In your pictures it looks like the axle sprocket is bolted to the carrier. That should make changing the sprocket easy.
The engine and drive train that came on your kart originally had a built in gear reduction of some sort. Your kart set up properly with that engine and a torque converter will be quiet powerful and fast.

medic6947

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.
I'm currently having trouble finding a 60t sprocket that will fit my axle. Center bore is just over 2.25 inches, mounting holes straight across are 3.16 inches apart and diagonal bolt hole is 2.25 inches apart.
Any ideas where to look?
Been all over the web.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.
I'm currently having trouble finding a 60t sprocket that will fit my axle. Center bore is just over 2.25 inches, mounting holes straight across are 3.16 inches apart and diagonal bolt hole is 2.25 inches apart.
Any ideas where to look?
Been all over the web.
Is it stepped down on the edges?

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Hmm. I’ve never seen one of that size. I’m just making sure there aren’t any funny mistakes because of that strange size. For measuring axles just take calipers around it or measure the end of the axle with a tape measure. No need for pie. :roflol: