Broken Valve Stem

l008com

Reaction score
So I got my kart running today for the first time in years. I was psyched! Once it was running, I grabbed my pump to pump up the tires so I could go spin around in the thing. But taking the pump off one of the valves, it actually broke it. I'm a mountain biker and I've never seen a valve stem break like this. Though it is 20 years old.

Are these just standard automotive valve stems?
If so, I guess I need to take the tires off to install new ones, but I don't really have to remove the tire right? I can just unseat one side and squish it over to access the valve? right?
If that method would work, whats the easiest way to unseat one side of the tire? The only tire levers I have are plastic bicycle levers that I'm sure would snap under the load. Any other tricks?
Worst case, I can take all the wheels off and bring them to a tire shop but I'd rather do it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_5574.JPG
    IMG_5574.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yes, they are just regular car valve stems available at any tire store or automotive parts store. Just do yourself a favor and take the tires in and have them changed. You’ll thank me later.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Yes, they are just regular car valve stems available at any tire store or automotive parts store. Just do yourself a favor and take the tires in and have them changed. You’ll thank me later.
Deffinitely worth the like 5-10 that it'll cost from a local tire shop.

l008com

Reaction score
The rears are original, the fronts are a few years younger. But honestly all the tires look really good, they don't look dry rotted at all! The machine was kept in a shed for much of it life so maybe that helped prolong them?
That said, I was thinking of getting new tires anyway, something with less aggressive tread.

l008com

Reaction score
I'll only be driving it on snow blowed driveways and plowed streets to anything will work. This thing has about 3" of ground clearance so theres no hope of driving through deep snow, regardless of the tire tread.

l008com

Reaction score
Well I will agree that under just the right circumstances, they can be a lot of fun in the snow. Like if you have a thick layer of old snow that has turned into some pretty solid ice-snow, then you get a few inches of fluff on top of that. That combo will get you a pretty good time in the snow. But also I wouldn't be getting slicks, just turf savers.

Attachments

• IMG_5107.JPG
    IMG_5107.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 5

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just do yourself a favor and take the tires in and have them changed.
Absolutely correct! They'll just snap a tool over the stem and pull it out, no need to go inside the rim for that. Then they'll push the tire aside, stab a new stem in from the inside, and same tool will pull it into the seated position. They'll seat the beads and blow it up. Dun, done, and duun.