Briggs Vanguard Crankshaft Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
Quick question: I have a briggs and stratton 14 hp vanguard v twin engine that came off of a generator. I'm gonna use it in a go kart. The problem is it had a tapered shaft. Is there a straight crankshaft that would fit the engine? Or does only a tapered one fit. I want to know if I can buy a straight shaft for this engine.

KartFab

Reaction score
call briggs and stratton customer service with your engine model and serial number ready, and they can give you the part number or even order it from them. I would think that it would be possible.

1 (800) 444-7774

or if you want to do it yourself, you can look up the manual with the same info, and see if there are crankshafts with straight/tapered etc, but just ot be safe id call customer support

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/manuals

OzFab

Reaction score
They can & they do but, it depends on the size of the shaft as to whether it can be turned down; what is the diameter of the shaft futhest from the engine?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
according to B&S the 14hp v-twin by default comes with a 1" keyed straight shaft
just as you'd want.
the threaded and the tapered shaft are optional.

So yes, theoretically you could just call B&S and get a new crankshaft.

the problem is, the partslist list two columns full of possible crankshafts for different modelnumbers.
So the only thing you can do really is ask their customer support, to verify the partnumber.

turning your shaft down might be as (or even more) expensive as buying a new one...
so while that is an option, it's maybe not the best option you have ;)

'sid

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Be sure you have the model,type and code when dealing with Briggs stuff. It helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.