briggs & stratton, anyone??

drivinfaster

Reaction score
hello, everyone. new here. i took a few days to check things out and this looks like a really col forum for some really cool ideas. one thing i seem to not be finding a whole lot of info about would be regarding the b&s intek motors. in particular the 18.5 500cc vertical shaft ohv unit from a riding mower. it was given to me a few weeks back as the owner was told i had a seized piston. i figured that there were some pieces and parts to be had for use on a different project and had nothing to lose by taking the owner up on her offer.
needless to say the spouse was *not* happy about it, so it was disassembled quickly and parts assessed for future use. which brings me to the engine. upon disassembly it was discovered the head gasket had blown out along the pushrod area, between the valves, and the oil looked horrible. at least the amount that was still present, which was like molasses. ick.

so here is my dilemma. what should i consider doing with this thing?? i already have a gx160 i am planning on using to build a kart with, so i don't (really) need to build a second. however, if i did, i am considering a larger 2 seater design with ground clearance to run through the woods. i figure i would require clearance anyway for the vertical design of the shaft, but couldn't this also be mounted to provide for a horizontal output??

the counterbalance design also seems to be inconclusive as some search results suggest deleting them and use brass counterweights. nothing found on that topic regarding this particular motor. similarly with regard to the govenor/oil slinger assemby. delete?? don't delete?? modify?? upgrade??

so. is this a dud?? the "4 door 69 chevelle with an inline 6" of karting potential, so to speak?? lots of intek twin info, which really does me no good.

so, suggestions?? thoughts?? i am really curious what, if any, potential this thing could have.

thanks for your time.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Vertical engines are just hard to use for karts and motorized playthings. You can do it, but it isn't straightforward like a horizontal engine is. Maybe sell the parts you can on Ebay and move on?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Full agreement with landuse, hard to use for karts, definitely not straightforward.
A little concerned about selling on ebay though. 30 weight molasses means no parts in that engine can be listed under "as new", has to be listed "previously used". That means very little money in a resale, and after shipping charges there couldn't be enough money to make it worth the trouble, at least not for me.
The carburetor is an exception to that, gas tank also. As to the rest, consider your ebay seller's reputation. Any negative reviews or product returns will be recorded and affect you in the future if you want to sell anything else.

drivinfaster

Reaction score
indeed, selling the engine would not be an option at this point as it would likely not be more than a financial push at best. i was just inquiring as to what, if any, vertical builds were being done. obviously as a lawn tractor it is a viable machine, but isn't a whole lot of fun like that. there are racing tractors, but that doesn't appeal to me.
my uncle has a golf cart which was a fun toy to noodle around on his trails, and probably where i began thinking about getting something like that, but golf carts are super pricey or require tons of work (sorta like a 69 chevelle, every one of the owners think they've got a rare ss option instead of a plain jane malibu...)

i may peruse the tractor sites as well and see what their take on this intek is.

worst case scenario is i melt down the aluminum for some other projects i have plans for, and retain a bunch of pulleys and steering bits, wheels, and tires. there are a lot of small motors around, and a brand new predator 212 isn't terribly expensive should i decide to build a second kart.

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
i see that you need a mud mower get an old used mower chassis and build from there they can be tons of fun depending on modification. and also to use the vertical motor they have peerless vertical to horizontal shiftable gearboxes which makes it possible to use said vertical motor to a go kart axle1614702485492.png

qtband

Reaction score
i see that you need a mud mower get an old used mower chassis and build from there they can be tons of fun depending on modification. and also to use the vertical motor they have peerless vertical to horizontal shiftable gearboxes which makes it possible to use said vertical motor to a go kart axleView attachment 125545
What gearbox is pictured here?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just reread your questions. If you have some time to maybe waste, but want answers, start with this.............
IF that 500cc motor has an electric start, bolt it down to a workbench. Change the oil, and squirt some around that top end while the head's off. Either cut a new temporary head gasket from gasket material, or use a very thin bead of RTV that you let set up overnight.
Get that puppy started up with that electric starter, and only then assess what to do with it.
500cc is a lot of motor, and if it starts and runs it's worth doing something with. If no funds are required to make it run then the investment of a 90-degree gearbox as Budget mentioned, preferably one with a reverse too, could be money well spent.
Imagination can take over if you have all that.