Briggs raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briggs8Stratton

Reaction score
Hi everyone,quick question: I am possibly going to buy a briggs raptor, and I don't know how to start it. There is no recoil pull starter. So, how would a person start one that looks like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
There is an adaptor piece that goes on the square end there called a starter nut. so you can use a racing starter. I would think you could just bolt up a regular Briggs pull starter.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
They use a electric handheld starter just Google junior dragster starter to see them. My phone won't upload the pic right now.

But you should be able to switch it back to pull start.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Compression release has to do with the cam right? To slightly open the valve for start up? So if it is removed he would have to get a different cam to use the pull start?

Justin9

Reaction score
You can buy a pull starter and start the engine if it is stock with no problem... I actually found an old lawn mower and cut the pull starter off it when we use to race those engines...

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I found this:
"Most of the overhead valve engines have a compression release feature which allows for the starter to not have to work hard to crank the engine. It's a slight raising, or bump, on the lobe of the camshaft. What it does is open the valve a little early to allow excess compression to bleed off. At speeds over 300rpm, the tappet just sort of floats over this bump and it has no effect on engine performance. But at starting speeds, it's essential or the starter just can't turn the engine over"
Here http://pkjones.hubpages.com/hub/Hard-to-start-Briggs-and-Stratton-engine

Justin9

Reaction score
None of our Raptor racing engines had a compression release and were all pull started... now, if you try that on a OHV you are asking for trouble, but on a regular raptor... it should not be a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.