Brakes!

Big Bob

Reaction score
I have a large heavy kart, And I am a big guy. Just did test ride #2 and the brakes really aren't cutting it. Not sure of the hydraulic master cylinder or caliper as for a make. Chinese off Amazon. No air in the line for sure. Could be that I'm using a 8" rotor.
Any suggestions? I think a 10" rotor would help.
What you guys using for master cylinders and calibers?
Thanks, Old Bob

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you are using a single caliper and rotor to stop all that mass it probably is not going to cut it. Think bigger or more!

Big Bob

Reaction score
If you are using a single caliper and rotor to stop all that mass it probably is not going to cut it. Think bigger or more!
What do you suggest? I think a 10" rotor is as big as I can go. I have some 13" rotors off my Jeep I could use with the Jeep calipers. But that would be a big complicated task mounting that. I honestly think the cheapo master and caliper is the issue. I could buy quality stuff. MCP?

redflash

Reaction score
often times the problema may be... #1 wornout shoes........#2 the disc width does not match the caliper thickness. There are 4-5 disc widths available and the caliper needs to match that exact spec or the shoes may not tighten to the disc completely.

Da redflash

Big Bob

Reaction score
often times the problema may be... #1 wornout shoes........#2 the disc width does not match the caliper thickness. There are 4-5 disc widths available and the caliper needs to match that exact spec or the shoes may not tighten to the disc completely.

Da redflash
Yup. The brakes are new. The rotor is 1/8” so that could be part of the problem.
I ordered a 1/4” X 10” rotor and MCP master and caliper. If that don’t stop it I’ll build a big anchor!

Attachments

• 8E4263F5-F811-4698-B370-F5D9765B3698.jpeg
    8E4263F5-F811-4698-B370-F5D9765B3698.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 3

redflash

Reaction score
I mention it because I had a 1/8 inch rotor. I bled and bled the brakes until I was exhausted, and never had enough stop going. I finally realized that my caliper was for a 1/4 inch disc. I took the shoes out and welded a 1/16 inch washer on the backside of each shoe....re[laced them and voila,
I had stopping power.......live, make mistakes, learn, be smarter next time............ thats how life goes.

Da redflash

Big Bob

Reaction score
I mention it because I had a 1/8 inch rotor. I bled and bled the brakes until I was exhausted, and never had enough stop going. I finally realized that my caliper was for a 1/4 inch disc. I took the shoes out and welded a 1/16 inch washer on the backside of each shoe....re[laced them and voila,
I had stopping power.......live, make mistakes, learn, be smarter next time............ thats how life goes.

Da redflash
Correct. I'll be building a heavy weight, but much lighter than my Kart, Cushman style mini-bike next. I'll use the old caliber (which is new) on the bike with a thicker rotor.
But-----I don't think that is the issue on mine. The chinese caliper does not float on it's pins as it should. All calipers should float. Once I get it off I;ll eyeball what is wrong and throw it away or put it in the Bike parts box.
On my heavy Kart the MCP stuff ($$$$$) is the prudent choice.