Big guy wants to race!

FP-74

Reaction score
I am 60ish 5’10” 260 lbs found a great place to race, but I’m having trouble finding a kart to fit a fat guy...
The first pic is what most are running. The second pick is a local kart for sale that the guy says I won’t fit in.
I have a Manco 225 American Express Frame with a live axel (3rd pic)I just squeeze into it and it needs a bit of work (I have a new predator 212 in the box) I would hate to put a lot of work into the Manco to be left in the dust (these guys are FAST). I have about $1000 to spend
I don’t know if there is a racing kart that is larger. Really just need the steering wheel a little higher and farther from seat. Sorry about the long post!
any advice? PLEASE don’t say loose weight!

447C9632-D49D-484C-B54C-83809FC85327.png8EAFFB43-6726-4F71-ABD7-F531215C6DC5.pngBA1EA1D4-172A-4169-9316-2E4261BB7DEC.png

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
i suggest you go look at the kart for sale if you're using it for racing purposes, may as well try to fit in it. that's just my two cents.

Crazznewt

Reaction score
If you have the tools, shorten the steering column. Cut weight on the kart where you can. Depending on the track, you may not be as disadvantaged as you might think.

anderkart

Reaction score
Is that an oval track with all left turns?

I'm 6'-6"/235lbs and won several heats & main events on dirt oval kart tracks when I was well into my 50's.

Your Manco wont ever handle as well as a racekart.

That kart for sale in your pic is an Ultramax, Its probably an older model but it's one of the top brands of offset chassis karts and was specifically designed for oval track racing. Probably be a good choice for you as long as it's in decent condition.

You'll be able to adjust the seat further back if needed.

You'll find info about ovalkart seat sizes at this link: https://www.out2win.com/catalog/seats.html

You'll find some steering wheels that'll give more beer-belly clearance at this link: https://www.out2win.com/catalog/steer_wheel.html

FP-74

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Not oval.. one right turn (in and out on the back side). Yes, i believe the Manco won't handle as well as a race kart.
I Think I'm gonna look at that ultramax even though he says I wont fit... anderkart, you mentioned that kart is designed specifically for oval track, Is that a deal breaker?

anderkart

Reaction score
Hard to say... An Ovalkart will make righthand turns but it's definitely gonna push more than a straitrail chassis on that one corner, but on the other hand it should out-corner a comparable Straitrail chassis kart on all the lefthand turns.

Have you gone to the track and found out what type of chassis the top drivers are running?

Its easy to tell the difference:
An oval chassis will have the steering column & seat drastically offset to the left, and the rear axle offset to the right:
1601042417927.png

And then everything is pretty much centered on a strait rail chassis except the seat & steering column will typically be just slightly offset to the left:
1601042502483.png

FP-74

Reaction score
They seem to be a mixed bag... I think I’m gonna give it a go and hopefully I can deal with the one right turn. This is a REALLY out of the way track only 6 or 8 people go there. Literally in a farmers field but well done. I see what you mean by the offset wheel seat and rear axel in the pic of the kart I plan to pick up. I guess I just want to try it. They are a pretty loose group. The other 2 pics are from the track. ( I wish I could upload the video). Thanks for the advice!DADA5C28-57C0-407E-81A6-06B7970B70D7.png3BC6014E-2AEC-4BFC-AF0D-07F728C2E4C1.pngB5C06F15-8E68-4EC6-A342-073F6834E0C2.jpeg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I'm 62ish and about 170, but I built a kart that would fit even you anyway. Double-wide on an adjustable tailgating seat from Walmart for about $54. Don't be too quick to dismiss the thought of making whatever you buy fit you the way you choose, not the way the manufacturer supplied it. As some fabricator once said, "You take that metal and bend it to your will."

Attachments

• 100_0168.JPG
    100_0168.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_0167.JPG
    100_0167.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_0165.JPG
    100_0165.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

FP-74

Reaction score
Ok, bear with me as I’m new at this.. I bought the ultramax and raced it the first time last night (came in dead last but that was expected). It has Honda 200 gx with gov removed. Things I notice about the other carts, everybody has header exhaust and they all put on different carbs.Anout 1/2. Are predators.most relocated gas tank to the front. I have to get a bigger seat, new wheels,and tires. I can’t do everything at once. Do you think I should start with carb and air filter? Any Carb recommendation without breaking the bank?Any advice would be appreciated!

anderkart

Reaction score
What's the issue with your seat?

I was also wondering what kind of tires the top drivers running at your track? Treaded or Slicks? What brand?

Are most of the top drivers running Strait Rail Chassis karts or Offset Chassis like yours, or are there some of each?

I never ran a GX200 or clone on my racekarts, but before you buy a carb; I'd suggest you start researching the Clone, Predictor and Honda engine sections at this kart racing forum: https://4cycle.com/karting/

FP-74

Reaction score
What's the issue with your seat?

I was also wondering what kind of tires the top drivers running at your track? Treaded or Slicks? What brand?

Are most of the top drivers running Strait Rail Chassis karts or Offset Chassis like yours, or are there some of each?

I never ran a GX200 or clone on my racekarts, but before you buy a carb; I'd suggest you start researching the Clone, Predictor and Honda engine sections at this kart racing forum: https://4cycle.com/karting/
Well, the seats too small and I had to move it way back so I could fit in it. there is no chance I could mount it to the front mounts as designed.I think I’m the only offset there everyone runs slicks. It was my first race and I was the second oldest driver. That being said, I had A LOT of fun! I’m going to do it more. I just would like to make some small improvements.

Attachments

• E85D665E-513A-4151-98BA-12D6876982E6.jpeg
    E85D665E-513A-4151-98BA-12D6876982E6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 0CA36313-532F-490A-97B9-BC9761E17B73.jpeg
    0CA36313-532F-490A-97B9-BC9761E17B73.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • C4A0B868-92AB-439A-BB97-BE8C721F561F.jpeg
    C4A0B868-92AB-439A-BB97-BE8C721F561F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 9462DBAD-C2F4-4CE0-8BC8-2172799BBE0E.jpeg
    9462DBAD-C2F4-4CE0-8BC8-2172799BBE0E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

anderkart

Reaction score
I think a new racekart seat that truly fits you should be your top priority. Your kart is designed to handle best with a lay-down style of an Oval-track seat.

I went through a few different seats while racing and discovered how much a snug-fitting seat that truly fit me improved my driving ability. My first seat was too large so i was always distracted by the feeling i was gonna fly out around the high G-force corners. When I replaced it with a perfect fitting seat, my driving ability immediately Improved because I didn't have to have a clenched death grip on the steering wheel to hold me in place. Then i gained some weight and i was constantly distracted by the pain of that seat being too dam tight...

I know your tall, but its important to mount your new seat in a fairly forward location because you need to try to achieve a 50-50% front to rear weight bias of your kart while your sitting in it... With your body's weight transferred too far back: you'll loose front tire steering grip ability causing a Push, plus your additional body weight transferred rearward to the live-axle compounds the Push issue because it's much more difficult for the Inside-corner back tire to unload while turning. You'll simply need to bend your knees more and having a seat that holds you in place will help you do that. Relocating your gas & brake pedals further forward might help too. I posted a link to seat sizing info in one of my previous posts, and be sure to check out a few youtube videos on Oval Kart seat mounting before you start drilling any seat mounting holes (y)

Last edited: