Best way to mount a Torque converter to this setup?

Pbnclb

Reaction score
I ordered a torque converter that will be here in two days, I’m having a hard time thinking of a way to Mount it to this setup? what do you guys recommend without doing any crazy fab work? I was thinking maybe just raising up the motor and going slightly over the brake band and mounting the engine there so I can line up the Jackshaft with my sprocket. I guess another option would be to move the brake band to the other side of the cart and find a way to make that work... just not sure what what to do.

I don’t have lot of experience with fabrication or carts in general so my options are limited. I do have a couple friends who can weld at a beginner level.

Attachments

• 748707E3-30F9-460C-913F-570454606968.jpeg
    748707E3-30F9-460C-913F-570454606968.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • AA9D3281-206A-4680-A47F-6CA2D9648D9C.jpeg
    AA9D3281-206A-4680-A47F-6CA2D9648D9C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 5535FF7A-04C3-40C0-8204-19C9AC925431.jpeg
    5535FF7A-04C3-40C0-8204-19C9AC925431.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
Wowza! That sprocket is gonna make it close, you’re going to have to run the torque converter straight back n down like a typical 30 series setup. That’s your best bet at least, if that doesn’t work then fabrications are going to have to be done. @KartFab this was built from your plans right? Have any ideas??

Pbnclb

Reaction score
Wowza! That sprocket is gonna make it close, you’re going to have to run the torque converter straight back n down like a typical 30 series setup. That’s your best bet at least, if that doesn’t work then fabrications are going to have to be done. @KartFab this was built from your plans right? Have any ideas??
This is an old carter cart I repainted and got some new tires for to make it look nice. I did copy kart fabs color scheme though, I really like it and Walmart only had orange rust oleum and baby blue so I went with orange.
The sprocket is def gonna be close but I’m more worried about getting the jackshaft sprocket to line up with mine. I’m not sure if the torque converter will stick out far enough for them to be in line with each other.... maybe I’m wrong but I need to get it in hand to really know what I’m dealing with

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
A 30 series torque converter? The 30 series' backplate mounts flush to the side of the engine, and the jackshaft sticks out behind the backplate, so the sprocket would be further over to the right side than the left side of the engine itself. Means the backplate has to extend toward the rear, toward the front, or extend downward to not hit the engine with the sprocket. I'll attach a pic of one extending downward.
Well, it won't let me attach pics.....................

Pbnclb

Reaction score
A 30 series torque converter? The 30 series' backplate mounts flush to the side of the engine, and the jackshaft sticks out behind the backplate, so the sprocket would be further over to the right side than the left side of the engine itself. Means the backplate has to extend toward the rear, toward the front, or extend downward to not hit the engine with the sprocket. I'll attach a pic of one extending downward.
Well, it won't let me attach pics.....................
Yes a 30 series. I’m completely lost on what you’re trying to tell me. I wish it would let you attach some pics :(

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Okay, they fixed their data glitch, pics are attached. I said it wrong about the sprocket being on the backside of the backplate. It's on the front side, sandwiched between the backplate and the driven pulley. The backside still has the bearing and casting reinforcement gussets around it sticking out, preventing that part from being against engine. Lots of people cut/grind away part of the casting gussets that hit the engine in their way of mounting a 30 series. Included pics of a minibike with a 30 series mounted extending toward the rear and slanted downward a little for clearance from the engine, with the cover in place on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_161425.jpg
    IMG_20200315_161425.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 100_0166.JPG
    100_0166.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 100_0173.JPG
    100_0173.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20190818_160129.jpg
    IMG_20190818_160129.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190818_162541.jpg
    IMG_20190818_162541.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21

Pbnclb

Reaction score
Ah I see. The issue I foresee is the jackshaft sprocket being sandwiched between the drive pulley and backplate will have my sprocket way off. Is there a way to mount the jackshaft sprocket on the outside of the driven pulley so it can be in line with my sprocket ?

I see your pictures now, thank you.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You cannot just swap the sprocket placement. If it was even possible to push the driven pulley over to the backplate, leaving some jackshaft on the outside for the sprocket, that would misalign the driver and driven.
The inner side of both pulleys is the flat side, and those 2 flat discs must be perfectly in line with each other.

Pbnclb

Reaction score
You cannot just swap the sprocket placement. If it was even possible to push the driven pulley over to the backplate, leaving some jackshaft on the outside for the sprocket, that would misalign the driver and driven.
The inner side of both pulleys is the flat side, and those 2 flat discs must be perfectly in line with each other.
The only way I could move the sprocket is if I unbolted the brake drum from the mounting hub and flipped it so that the sprocket would sit where the drum was. But then I wouldn’t have any brakes unless I welded a brake band bracket on the other side and mounted it over there. (I think)
How impractical would it be to just get a longer jackshaft, say an inch longer or so.. and Mount the sprocket on the outside then? Or would that be a terrible idea... I know they sell slightly longer jackshaft a for the TCs

edit: on second thought that might not be a great idea because it might add a lot of extra strain on the bearing in the backplate considering the leverage point would be so far away from the bearing... ughhhhh

probably just gonna have to get a new braking setup.

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Congrats on second thought, because you're absolutely right, too much leverage strain.
Looking at your pics again I'd say that big sprocket will never let you fit a TC onto that engine, it's in the way. You'd have to relocate the motor to get a TC on there and in the right position to align the sprockets.
Probably a set of legs welded on top of motor mounting plate, and a new motor mounting plate welded on top that would move the motor to the left a little. Type "gokart torque converter install" into Youtube search bar, and watch a bunch of different videos for inspiration.