Battery performance in cold weather

vpd66

Reaction score
I'm building a utility type vehicle for around my property and I'm on the fence on whether electric power would be acceptable. I would like to use this vehicle year around and we have a good 4-5 months cold weather. I'm worried about battery performance in the cold weather (below 32 degrees F). I know if I keep it in my heated shop they will be alright, but what if I leave the vehicle outside overnight or for a few days? Will my batteries go dead from sitting in the cold? Anyone have any cold weather experience with something electric powered?

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
This depends on the type of battery. Some are specifically designed for cold weather duty. I know of lithium batteries that are good for storage down to 23degF and can charge at -20degF.

vpd66

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. That is what I'm looking for, facts on cold weather battery performance. I think I have came up with a solution. Make the battery pack removable and keep it in a warm environment when not in use.

Snaker

Reaction score
Below 32 f is more of a Oklahoma or Arkansas climate then Wisconsin (your location?) Way below freezing would be accurate.
I have no clue about the larger batteries but you may need to look for specs concerning internal thermal shutdowns.
Some shut down for over high temps and some for over cold temps.