B.S. motor ID

pearl111

Reaction score
I have had this B.S. motor for a while now, paid 10$ A good cleaning and a paint job. The tank was rusted but the carb was good shape. Hade to replace carb and gas tank from a regular flathead to get it to work. I'm not sure if its a true Raptor or not. Starts right up and runs good, only it smokes out the tail pipe. I'm thinking it needs rings.

Only the numbers on the cover do not match any where I look. I can't find any info. any where. I'm not sure if these are the real numbers for this motor. What do I do?

Attachments

• motor 1.jpg
    motor 1.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 9
  • motor 2.jpg
    motor 2.jpg
    905.3 KB · Views: 12
  • motor 3.jpg
    motor 3.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 8
  • motor 5.jpg
    motor 5.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 9
  • motoe 4.jpg
    motoe 4.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 8

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Here's the Briggs OEM numbers breakdown:
13 Ci displacement
Design series 5 No one knows what that means, but I've never seen one from series 5, I think it might indeed be the Raptor series.
2 Horizontal shaft, originally had a Pulsa Jet
3 Ball bearing, flange mounted, splash lube(best possible bearing set for a small block)
0 It came with no starter

The middle sequence is another unknown set of numbers, but apparently it denotes the mechanical parts, color, decals, governed speed, and manufacturer.

It was built on March 17th 1997 at assembly line and plant YA(again, who knows what this means).

Given the overall design, the top notch bearings and no starter, I think it is almost certainly a genuine Raptor! How's the bore look? Is it the steel sleeve?
I could tell you for certain if it's an OEM Raptor if you can post a close up underneath the carb!
Hope this helps!

pearl111

Reaction score
JTSpeedDemon this is the carb that came on the motor. Only the gas tank was to rusty to use, so when I got the new tank I had to use the carburetor that was mounted on the tank.

I tried to use the carb. that is in the pictures, but I could not get to line up right.

Attachments

• carb 1.jpg
    carb 1.jpg
    757.8 KB · Views: 5
  • carb 3.jpg
    carb 3.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 5
  • carb 4.jpg
    carb 4.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 5

pearl111

Reaction score
As I stated at the beginning of this thread this motor starts right up, but with very little evert (almost to easy). And when it does run it smokes. Thinking it could be the rings I took the head off. and what I found was WOW. I cleaned the top off the motor and inside the head. Most of the carbon buildup was on top of the valves, (more carbon buildup on the top off the intake valve then the exhaust). I did not find any debris of metal or anything else. This is what I found inside the head and on top of the piston. If your able to, zoom in on the first pick. Could this be the reason for the smoke. And where should I check. Thanks.

Attachments

• fh-2.jpg
    fh-2.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 17
  • fh-1.jpg
    fh-1.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 17

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Uhhhhh, eeeek! WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT PISTON????!!! :ack2:
But yeah, I’d say real Raptor as well.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Oh, yeah after looking at it again, definitely real Raptor; there's no governor arm hole, and of course it has the Raptor rod.

pearl111

Reaction score
Those welds where on the motor when I got it. I don't know why it was welded like that. I'll check the inside of the block, maybe it was cracked?

pearl111

Reaction score
It run okay before I took it apart, so I did use some emery cloth across the top of the piston and smooth it down the best I could. Also lightly grinded and emery cloth the inside of the head. I plan on cleaning every thing inside and out. So far every thing looks ok.