Axle rust

V8xjdavid

Reaction score
I had to get a new axle due to repeated kid damage. The old one was a serious challenge to get apart due to rust and paint. I would like to prevent that for future replacements. How do I prevent rust and still have everything not be difficult to remove? If I paint it, then it will still be difficult to remove the sprocket and bearings. Keeping it oiled would work, but then it gets caked with dirt sticking to the oil.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Get a short leather strap or 2, put some snap fasteners on them and put them on the exposed axle, loose, but not too loose so that they will get in the sprockets, etc. They will spin around on there and keep it clean. Or don't, whatever.

panchothedog

Reaction score
The corrugated plastic tubing works great. I have it on two karts. Seems to want to last forever.

V8xjdavid

Reaction score
After pre assembly it looks like everything moved pretty easily so I gave it a light coat of paint and applied some anti seize. Everything still slid on fine.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
There's lots of products that claim to prevent rust. Decision has to be made about whether or not you want a residual film left on the metal. WD-40 leaves a film, Brake-Kleen and contact cleaner does not, etc. It's the residual film that repels water, which of course causes rust.
Does anybody think I'm incorrect when I say that the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersal? Positive that I read that. It is certain that it does it, and the residue is why you never spray it in keylock mechs. The axle-in-tube is great, but still gets wet (humidity) inside, and then it doesn't dry up the moisture, holds it inside. Have to seal it with silicone or something to keep that out.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
So, how do you lubricate your axle to prevent rust
I'll call the 2nd ex-wife and ask her if she knows about the axles. She could tell you all day about how the piston and the rod do the same job, and that frequent lubrication keeps the entire ride appropriately pleasant with no screeching preventing it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist either.

Willie1

Reaction score
Does anybody think I'm incorrect when I say that the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersal? Positive that I read that.
The WD-40 website states that the WD stands for "Water Displacement".

From their website:
Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Does anybody think I'm incorrect when I say that the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersal?
I heard somewhere the W & D stood for the names of the inventors
...& the 40 represents the 40th mixture (formula) they tried
&
FWIU they were trying to create a metal "cleaner"
...not really a lubricant &/or protectant

That's what I heard anyways :cornut: