automotive tach on 2 cyl/single cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
alright tomorrow ill get my faster computer out and get on that(its faster but more of a pos)

gcarter95

Reaction score
Well that's a bugger! gotta be a paid member to view the instructions!!!

Same thing happened when I clicked the link.

Copy the article title, click Home, and paste the title into the search box. It should be the first link that comes up. Click through and you will see the article.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
so can anyone help me figure out how i would rig this on my racing mower engine? i know were to wire it and stuff but cant figure out how many pulses it has.

brendonv

Reaction score
Locate the spark plug and spark plug wire beneath the engine cover. This is where the tachometer's reader wire will be installed.

Wrap the tachometer's reader wire around the spark plug wire, near where it attaches to the spark plug boot. Use one zip tie near the boot, and one at the end of the coil to secure the reader wire to the spark plug wire.

Remove a bolt from the engine block. Set the ground wire of the tachometer underneath the bolt head and tighten the bolt down on top of it. This will ground the tachometer.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Locate the spark plug and spark plug wire beneath the engine cover. This is where the tachometer's reader wire will be installed.

Wrap the tachometer's reader wire around the spark plug wire, near where it attaches to the spark plug boot. Use one zip tie near the boot, and one at the end of the coil to secure the reader wire to the spark plug wire.

Remove a bolt from the engine block. Set the ground wire of the tachometer underneath the bolt head and tighten the bolt down on top of it. This will ground the tachometer.

But would be be 1 pulse per 2 rotations?

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
so can anyone help me figure out how i would rig this on my racing mower engine? i know were to wire it and stuff but cant figure out how many pulses it has.

read please i know were to hook it on but need to figure out how many pulses.. since its a twin cylinder my guess would be its one pulse per rotation of the flywheel... or is it per cycle?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
yea the tach is basically going to read 1 cyl. since the coils are seperate unlike a car which in that case would read the distributor.

Ok, thanks. The instructable said you could use a variable resistor, would any of these pots work?

Im not the best with electronics

solomon

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.