Another project, beater bike DS80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Just picked up this DS80 for $20, it was sitting for 20 years, was seized, someone put black paint (i think) in the gas tank, some wires were cut, engine was seized. I took it apart, un-seized it, and it looks like its got some potential as a beater. The cylinder is fine, piston skirt has a chunk missing (my idiot mistake), bottom end sounds fine, but its pull of rust and ****, so i have to split the cases. I'm planning on taking it all apart, cleaning her up, and then putting it back together and running it with the broken piston until she blows. New piston is $40, then i need rings, circlips, wrist pin+bearing, and its just not worth it. Even after the engine is blown, im sure i can part out the electronics/carb/exhaust etc for more than i have into it.

I just finished scraping the weather faded fenders, look much better now.

bighead

Reaction score
Great little bike. From being a larger rider and riding my little ds80 I would recomend getting stronger shocks in the back. Granted I am 250lbs though. even my 180lbs brother will bottom the bike out easy. My Yamaha GT80 holds are weight with normal driving.

You may know this but make sure you use the oil injection pump on the ds80. The oil pump will oil the main bearing. You can take the pump out but you must drill a hole in the case so the bearing gets oiled.

Good luck

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Great little bike. From being a larger rider and riding my little ds80 I would recomend getting stronger shocks in the back. Granted I am 250lbs though. even my 180lbs brother will bottom the bike out easy. My Yamaha GT80 holds are weight with normal driving.

You may know this but make sure you use the oil injection pump on the ds80. The oil pump will oil the main bearing. You can take the pump out but you must drill a hole in the case so the bearing gets oiled.

Good luck

Yea, the shocks are bad in the back, might swap them out for some kz400 shocks i have.

I too thought i had to keep the oil injector, but as i took it apart i noticed there was only one line coming off the injector, and it went to the carb. I split the cases, and sure enough its not CCI, although the plastics advertise as having CCI. So i will most likely just pre-mix, so i dont have to buy the stupid $20 throttle cable.

The engine is completely torn down now, bottom end is ok, mag side crank bearing is pretty bad, i need to decide how much i want to put into this thing. I could get a new piston, rings, big end bearing, and a few other misc parts, or i could toss it together as is and beat the hell out of it.

Im leaning towards the second option, since its such a little bike anyways. We'll see.

I can get seals/bearings for $25, and piston w/wrist pin, clips, and bearing for around 50...not horrible, that would be 95 into the bike...although the big end bearing isnt perfect, so that could be a problem in the future.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Pretty much. i might actually try to TIG the skirt back together, them turn it back down on the lathe at school...save a few bucks, probably not the best idea but we'll see.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yea, it probably isnt the best idea, and its not going to happen. I tore the engine down completely, noticed one seal one shot, crank bearing was very rough, the other one was useable, but rough, but other than that the big end rod bearing is alright, and transmission is in mint condition. So i ordered a new piston, wrist pin, bearing, circlips, both crank bearings, and both seals, total of $87, not too bad. I may have to order a new clutch cable too, but so far so good.

I also was finally able to get the wrist pin out, took a 50 ton press...Tomorrow i'm bringing in the two case halves and bead blasting the outsides, and then i'll repaint them a nice gloss black. this is turning out to be more of a rebuild than a slap it together and trash it project, should be fun tho.

Nice clean crank

the bike how it sits, both fenders scraped, not horrible looking. Need to finish getting all that black paint out of the gas tank.

Engine how it sits haha, and yes i do remember how it goes back together.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
tp does work better... same price as a thing of shop towels you can get a 24 pack of tp!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I've never bought rags, but i always run out of the old towls and shirts that i normally use. Thats why i use toiled paper.

In the process of painting the cases, parts should be here by next monday (hopefully earlier). Patched the rear tube (just one little hole), brakes look awesome, still freeing up the clutch cable (its not long for the world, thats for sure). Front brake lever is missing, and cable is frozen. probably wont bother for now. The carb is really bad, not sure what i'll do about it, might have to get one of those little dremel wire brushes.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Engine is about 75% together, got the bearings and seals today and put the bottom end together. Piston should be here tomorrow or saturday (hopefully), then i can get it together and get it going. I also painted the cases, so it looks decent. The carb still needs to be cleaned (its the worst carb i have ever dealt with, dirt wise), and i have to make sure i have spark, i cleaned the points so i dont see why not. The transmission and clutch are all in mint condition, minus a little rust on the clutch plates. Should be a fun little bike.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
****!

Bout to ****in smack somebody, got the parts from bike bandits today, and the piston was missing, infact the piston could not even fit into the envelope, so i called them up and apparently i have to go through a whole claims form, which is ****ing ridiculous, when i asked to talk to their manager they told me he was in a meeting. I'll try back later and see if i can talk to him directly, because i aint waiting another week for their ****up...

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Your tellin me, i faxed the thing over today, and they said they cant even put the order in the system till monday because there supervisor isnt there. I asked what they could do to make it right, and they are willing to do absolutely nothing, they wont even overnight it to me on monday.

I will never buy from bikebandit.com again. ever.

So, i guess instead of riding it today, i have to wait another week to even finish putting it together.

robbie

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty lame. I bought a jackshaft and some other parts from MFG Supply last month, which they packed in a bubble envelope. The jackshaft made a hole in the envelope, and the only thing that was left inside when I got it was a tire tube and a list of everything that was supposed to be there (the packing slip). They were really cool about it when I called them. They send out replacements (in a box) the same day.

Sorry you have to deal with idiots, but I thought I would take the opportunity to tell everybody about a company that treated me right.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Alright, piston finally came in yesterday. I got the engine all back together, minus flywheel/points/coil assembly, and its sitting in the bike right now. I need a few nuts and bolts, some oil, and possibly a new sparkplug before i can start her up! im gonna have to figure something out for a clutch cable also.

Sidecover, i went all out on the paint job because i was bored, looks good for 99c walmart paint

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
if i were you since you just rebuilt the engine i would repaint the hole bike... and try a bike brake cable or something..

Status
Not open for further replies.