Another Off road tractor project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Whatsup everyone, Haven't really been too active lately, college has gotten the better part of my life for the time being. However, i finally got back on the wagon, with another Old lawn tractor. As some of you know, i built a off road mower a few years back out of a 73' wheel horse, dubbed "the red rocket". I had so much fun on that thing, i decided its time to build a second one for friends, because riding through the woods on a mower isn't too much fun alone.

SO, i found a 1966 or 67 ford lgt 100, for $50 with no motor, four mismatched tires, and no steering linkage. It has a 5 speed transmission (granny low, 1,2,3,R), which is solid cast iron, with 1" axle shafts, and roller/ball bearings all around. I put in a short days work yesterday, and made some steering linkage from snowmobile tie rods and scrap steel, mounted some 25x8x12 atv tires, and also mounted an 8hp tecumseh for the time being. Hopefully by today i can set up the belt, and throttle linkage and take her for a spin.

Future plans include:

-16hp kawasaki v-twin
-lincoln locker
-winch (maybe)
-bull bar
-paint job (thinking gloss black, and ford blue)
-Wider tires (just need hubs)
-stacks
-skid plates

Here are a few pictures of the ford, and a picture/video of the red rocket.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdE7pd0oqQ

Attachments

• P4110639.jpg
    P4110639.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 14

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Little update.

She runs goes and stops
8hp Tecumseh
hooked up gas pedal
custom made tensioner
Hood is painted
Diff is welded

Overall pretty good, the belt slips in higher gear, may need to re-angle my spring for better tension. The transmission is solid, with the exception of one gear which is pitted from rust, where it didnt sit in oil. This transmission is extremely rugged, it has removeable axle housings, with roller bearings to support the carrier/axle, and roller bearings to support the axle at the hub. The granny gear first is EXTREMELY slow, which is awesome, should be great for crawling. Should be picking up a 16hp v-twin this weekend which will be the new power plant if i can make it fit. Next top priority is to address the clutch, clean and paint the seat pan/fenders and make a seat for it, and weld the front axle so it doesnt pivot.

Tensioner setup, hard to tell but both pulleys actually pivot, on the same fixed plate.

Custom steering arm, snowmobile tie rods, steers pretty nice.

Transmission, gear looks worse than it actually is. This thing is HEAVY.

Diff locker done the right way!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Sorry, havent really kept this updated. Yes i did, however the motor is back off. I have an 18hp briggs and stratton v twin sitting in it now, waiting on an adapter as it has a tapered shaft. I'll try to upload some pictures, goals for the new motor setup are approx 30mph top speed in 4th, minimal belt length. I'll take some pictures as soon as my new camera cord comes in.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Lil bored waitin on turkey, so i figured i'd finally update this. just got my camera fixed also so that helps too. Anyways, I pulled it back into the shop, and tore the tranny back down as it was popping out of gear, simple fix, detent springs were shot. Got it all back together and mounted back in the chassis, with motor set in place. It's gonna fit but it'll be tight. I'm getting an adapter machined for the tapered crank next week, and i should be good to go. The motor is an absolute gold mine, only 400 hours, runs like a top full pressure lube, pretty light, and it already has all the hookups for throttle and choke. very excited about that.

Attachments

• P9100227.jpg
    P9100227.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P9100228.jpg
    P9100228.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P9100230.jpg
    P9100230.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.