Analog or digital tachometers

Millwright

Reaction score
I,m thinking of a dashboard,

Kill switch, lights, hour meter, and a tachometer.

Anybody have any info on tachometer?
I've read a few older posts, seams like it is a bit of a problem for single cylinder engines. Lots of
"May" or "may not " work comments.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I posted a reply to my own thread for you. See "SchizoBallz gets new thread", should be just a couple of lines down from here. Post #24 (upper right corner of each post).

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
I don't much care for the mini tiny tach type inductive jobs,
hard to read at a glance.

From what I understand Equus makes a proper analog type tach
with an inductive pickup, making it compatible with any cylinder engine.

Have not tried it myself, so I can't verify it. Not sure if waste spark was
taken into consideration?

redflash

Reaction score
Look at the tachometers on "DC Motive" website...they are GPS enabled so the only wire is to the battery. just like your phone or gps.
they connect to the satellites and read your speed from accurate info.... Not badly priced either......DC motive.com

DaFlash

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I certainly do prefer analog meters for most any application, tachs, speedos, oil pressure................and I was born with glasses on my nose, always been nearsighted, so a big analog gauge like that Equus is perfect for me. Oops! I have a $10 bill in my wallet..............not a $100 bill.

Millwright

Reaction score
Kinda my thoughts too. But then again, the list of stupid things I'll pay 100 bucks for, I might as well get something useful.

Millwright

Reaction score
Look at the tachometers on "DC Motive" website...they are GPS enabled so the only wire is to the battery. just like your phone or gps.
they connect to the satellites and read your speed from accurate info.... Not badly priced either......DC motive.com

DaFlash
Cool, might be nice to fill out the dash with a speedo too. RPM info paired with gearing info is what I'm looking for mostly.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Still trying to work out the thing I want to make for a speedo. Currently figuring out a holder for my phone (has 2 free GPS speedos) that's very secure, dash mounted by my tach, and at least partially damped against vibration. A stubborn cheapskate has to work harder to have stuff.

Millwright

Reaction score
Picked up this iEquus 8068 tachometer today.
I is supposed to work on single cylinder engines.
I'll post more info once I have a chance to hook it is.

Attachments

• 20210724_150034.jpg
    20210724_150034.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

redflash

Reaction score
again I recommend you brothers look at the gauge packages on DC Motive.com way under $100 and all GPS powered which means ONE wire to a battery...for all cylinder configurations....I've dealt with these guys and they reliable and fast response..do check them out !

Da Flash

Millwright

Reaction score
RedFlash, ya I just checked that out.
I watched the video. Not a bad looking unit.
Not a big issue, but it is a 4 wire connection to have the tachometer working, same as other units. Regardless, not a bad unit for the price.
I like the bigger face on the IEquus unit.

Millwright

Reaction score
The IEquus tachometer works great. I tried it out on my generator.
1 wire with a sensor clip attaches to the spark plug wire, wires to power and ground. Optional gauge light wire.
Select "single cylinder" option and it's good to go.