"Almost Zero Budget Build"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
I have an old 1985 honda Interceptor 750, I would be an awesome restored bike, BUT it has no keys, no title and has not been run in 6 or 8 years. My brother bought it some years ago and let it sit outside for some time, Although it was running last time it was parked, the original owner lost the title then my brother lost the keys to it, so he GAVE it to me. Now I want to build a UTV with the engine and breaks. I have a very limited budget but a bit of steel tubing, channel and square tubing, some old golf cart tires and rims and a welder. What do you think I should do with it?

Nodroz

Reaction score
That looks like a pretty powerfull engine... I don't think you'll make it with a few steel tubes and some golf cart tires. You'll need some strong durable parts and the frame has to be very strong with such a big engine.

Just my opinion though. Can't you fix the bike and sell it? With the money you can buy a cheaper industrial engine and maybe even a frame from craigslist?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, with an engine that large you are going to beputting your life on the line unless you frame is professionally welded and is really strong.

What are your fabrication skills like?

fowler

Reaction score
Almost zero budget will get u killed
To build what u want is more like a few K

Ha sorry

Alternately it is very easy to get a new ignition
And very quick to fix it

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
Yeah, You guys are right. Don't know what I was thinking. A much lower powered project would be a much better Idea for a low budget build.
Thanks for helping me decide.
Although I want to keep the engine for a possible future Edge Barracuda build, I will look into a lowered powered project to tinker on, the only problem is I am much like T-man in the respect if I can't keep making quick progress I may loose interest.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I have one, a 1983. IF you end up using it-

At 30 years old, you can bet that all 4 carb diaphragms are shot. They are tough to find, and can get costly.

Secondly- research the "top end oiling mods" for this engine. At low RPM, the 1st generations of these engines have an insufficient lube delivery to the top end, starving the camshaft journals, leading to some pretty ugly results...

And NO- at nearly 90hp, you do NOT want to strap that thing to a pile of scrap tubing. That's playing directly into Darwin's hands!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I did get it from a friend, quite some time back. I discovered the carb issue, and debated building a custom 1-into-4 intake manifold to make use of a small automotive carburetor. Yeah- I know I'd lose a bit of power, but with that many ponies, I wouldn't miss a few. Ultimately, the plan was for a homebrew UTV project. I have decided against using this engine for that purpose.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Would you be looking to sell it? My older cousins looking for a project bike.

Edit: PM me if you want instead so this thread doesn't go too far of topic.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
I do agree with you on the crap tubing, But I wouldn't be using thin wall, I would use 1/8" to 1/4" walled tubing. And I am a certified welder So i would personally weld it all up using a 240 MIG and or Stick.
I appreciate all the usefull suggestions and comments. Keep it up. you are a great bunch of Wrench Heads.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
No probs, that's what we're here for. You'll forgive us for assuming the worst. More often than not, we see people who have never so much as soldered, coming on thinking about using some rocket of an engine in a deathly manner...

FWIW- properly designed and constructed, even 1/8" wall would be too thick, but we're talking space frame here, not ladder.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
Yup, I understand your concern about that. And although I have done "Dangerous" things often (Fun), I do deadly thing very rarely and usually by accident.
Thanks for your concern, and don't stop asking questions. because you never know.

TUK101

Reaction score
Your easiest mod would probably be to drop that into a golf cart and beef it up. The biggest issue is that that engine is going to provide a massive amount of torque to the axle.

FatCat

2 stroke Addict!
Reaction score
Trade that baby for a running go kart and have some fun! Could also get it running and yard thrash it. :wai: might get you hurt though. Depends on your riding experience and how you take to hitting the ground!:lolgoku: best bets probably to trade it for a kart. Let someone else deal with all the hassle. Longer it sits the more it will need. Gonna take some money to get it going. Just make sure if you do trade you get a descent cart for it.

Blue Finisher

Reaction score
I believe the carb is the standard they put on the VF750 Honda engine but I haven't looked either. The trade thing would be a good Idea if I didn't want to build something more fun than just a production kart, and the "Low budget" part of the build would be out the window if had to buy a golf cart then try to shoehorn a VF750 engine into it.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments though guys. keep em coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.