All things PAINTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Hi guys- I'm starting this hopefully as a resource for all of us to tap into. If this is a thread somewhere else on the forum, plz cancel it. I won't be butt-hurt.

I have at this point, very little to contribute to this thread except a tiny bit of personal experience.

So far, I'm learning that the most beautiful rattle-can paint job will NOT stand up to the normal abuse of gokart coating because of chips, dings and the occasional gas/oil spill. I found that a manufacturer makes a Urethane clear coat (SprayMax Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat) that has both parts separate in the same can. You get all your stuff ready, "activate" the can (mixing the two parts together) and you get a very tough coating. You have to use/coat all your stuff within a few hours or the leftover paint will cure and be no good. I've been restoring my wife's 1973 CB-175, and one of her requests was that I painted the tank/covers dark metallic blue. I used Duplicolor Mirage Blue/Red paint, thinking that the top-coat would be fuel-proof. NOT. So, I'm going to top-coat it with the SprayMax stuff- I'll report my findings here. I'm also going to try it out on the Lowrider v2.0, which won't have to meet my wife's exacting standards.... (I just want it rust-proof)
One of the questions raised is this: HarborFreight sells a Powder-Coat gun and the paint for a pretty reasonable price. Has anyone messed with this stuff, and would it work very well for our purposes?
Here are pix of my wife's bike so far:

...she wanted the racing stripes and badges off, so everything is smoothed over and a solid color. Should look pretty unique. We got the bike for very cheap, and it's in great mechanical condition.
Thanks in advance for any advice/info on painting.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Jerry, I came to the same conclusion as you and decided to rebuild a small compressor so that:

a. I can improve the quality of my finishing while keeping costs low.
b. Improve protection by applying an automotive clear coat over painted parts.

Still do'nt know whether I'm on the right track since I still need a throttle control for the compressor coz the petrol motor just idles and dies at 5bar - but I reckon my logic sounds good.

I'll be watching this thread with an eagle eye as I'm sure I can learn a lot from your experience.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I think it's great that you started this thread. I myself have been wanting to get into using something other than rattle-cans for paint. I don't like the way it chips off or dissolves when gas hits it. Anything you can add that you find is good information! :thumbsup:

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I did a Google search on fuel-proof rattlecan paint, and the general opinion was that any paint that just evap-dries won't work, but the paints that have to be mixed (like an epoxy) are very tough and fuel-resistant. Not wanting to do the whole compressor/airgun thing, I found the Spraymax stuff for $20 a can, which, for the small jobs we do, is or should be perfect. I haven't read anything good or bad about whether it can cover other paintjobs without problem, though. My wife's bike is acrylic laquer- definitely not a tough paint coating.
Here is the SprayMax link I have.....
http://www2.spraymax.de/361.0.html?&L=1
and here is dealer's link......
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
WooHooo, RUSS! This looks good! I have one of those airguns that hooks up to my compressor- that'll shoot it, right? AND it IS fuel proof?!? What's the price been?
Mr. Jerry:
I bought myself a Wagner spray gun kit, Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum Sunrise Red.
Different colors can be mixed to get colors that don't show up on their color cards.
Excellent results and once cured, nothing will touch it.
I'll never use spay cans again. They are, for the most part, crap.

Unfortunately, it's too late for my wife's bike- we're commited to this stuff, but for future projects.....?

LOOKS FANTASTIC gonna be a bad *** bike

Thanks! She just wants to learn to ride on it, and then get a bigger-better bike. Me- I'm a lover of the old Honda twins, so it's a keeper to take out for the occasional buzz! We're going to be in about $400 after I get the new tires for it- not bad.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Wagner gun is self contained, that is, 110 v.
I had zero experience with any kind of spray equipment (other than rat cans).
I bought a quart of the red and after thinning to get it through gun, I ended up using less than a pint for 2 coats on my kart frame.
I've spilled gas on it with no visible effects. I forget how long it took to fully cure, but I believe I let it sit for about a week.
Before and after attached. Paint is is a little beat up after 2 years but did not lift or peel anywhere. No bare metal.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Not wanting to do the whole compressor/airgun thing

Jerry why did you decide not to opt for this?

I may be barking up a wrong tree here and let me tell you I'm having serious difficulty finding a throttle control so I expect it's going to cost me a packet.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Okay... for the Lowrider project, I decided to try Russ' idea and purchased a quart of Rustoleum Stops Rust Protective Enamel in Gloss Sail Blue #7724 for only $8. If this works....! I coated the frame with Rustoleum Rust-Reformer first, since the frame picked up a bit of "patina" from sitting on the back porch by the evap-cooler. I have a Craftsman SprayGun 919.15624 with more knobs than the Time Machine in Kibble's basement, and it's gonna take some figuring out. All it says is keep the air pressure below 50psi. Here is a picture of my bargain ($1.80) at Goodwill:

If anyone has any idea on what knob does what- plz let me know. I don't want to cause any errors in the Space/Time Continuum.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
When it comes to painting DONT go cheap. This is my painting setup. The gun recomends 1.5-2 HP compressor but I think our 240 volt 3 HP 60 gallon is plenty. A gravity feed gun is a bit better than the can style. I got this gun for $45, Regular price was $100. The bottom knob is for air ajustment and the wheel on the side is for the width of the fan And the top knob is the fluid controll. These are some headers painted VERY well IMO.
Remember The gun must be disaembled after every use and soaked in a thinning agent. Make sure you get the "Needle" and "seat" Very clean. I know it's a bit of a hassle but its worth it.

MDMike

Reaction score
a hvlp gun does use less paint and leave less over spray, however if you only paint a little, a Suction gun is fine, they will both produce the same result. Ive painted MANY times with both, whole cars etc, and the finish is the same, you just have to get used to each one .

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Powder coated is a dry power that is statically charged and stuck to the metel. Then it is baked onto the suraface and the looks are outstanding and VERY durable.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Yep, recently had one of my projects powder coated. It's a quality finish and very very professional looking and yes - very durable.

Some reckon it's expensive - I do'nt.

I'm pickin up a working compressor with all the guns + some automotive clear coat for free at the end of the month. I think it's a small electric type compressor but hey - it's for free.

Found out that my engine driven one does'nt really need a throttle control so all I need to do now is service the pump + engine and hopefully the guns and hose that I'm getting will work on this as well.

Tyler - you've got a darn smart setup there.I'll never be able to match that.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yep, recently had one of my projects powder coated. It's a quality finish and very very professional looking and yes - very durable.

Some reckon it's expensive - I do'nt.

I'm pickin up a working compressor with all the guns + some automotive clear coat for free at the end of the month. I think it's a small electric type compressor but hey - it's for free.

Found out that my engine driven one does'nt really need a throttle control so all I need to do now is service the pump + engine and hopefully the guns and hose that I'm getting will work on this as well.

Tyler - you've got a darn smart setup there.I'll never be able to match that.
Thank you.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Hey jr dragster Tyler ! Thanks for the info! It seems like PowderCoating would be cool for the stuff that can be baked (like rims, etc.) I'm going to attempt (heavy emphasis on on "attempt"!) painting my frame with the Rustoleum and air gun that I don't know how to use in a couple of days. It can't look any uglier, so by that reasoning, this should go well......:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.