Advice - Spider Carts Grand Daddy?

AlexBatres86

Reaction score
ok ...I built the spider kart " arachnid"...buy a solid rack and pinion from "nex Gen offroad" their racks are built for off road dune buggy racing.
They are about $100.....anything much cheaper will be crap and probably break
you can buy heim joints from a hardware store, amazon, or any of the go kart places,, ( BMI, Go power, OMB, NR Racing, etc)..tie rods from 3/8 inch "allthread",
or thread your own 3/8 inch rods.......all pretty simple. Search the go kart suppliers like the bible, until you know what they carry, and what you need. This ain't a cheap project, so spend what you need to do it right, and you'll not be sorry !

Da Flash
Thanks for the advice, I’ll probably just thread my own rods, I have a decent die nut set for it.

This is what it looks like thus far, long way to go yet.

thanks again.

Attachments

• 2E3947DF-ACBE-46E5-A5F2-B87F9AF96248.jpeg
    2E3947DF-ACBE-46E5-A5F2-B87F9AF96248.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

AlexBatres86

Reaction score
As a blacksmith, farmer and general hack, please use 3/8" rod and thread it yourself. All-thread tends to be a weird alloy and break when any stress other than directly lateral is applied. TSC, Lowes, Home Depot all should have it. If possible do not get the galvanized, the cold rolled is stronger. Galvanized will work though, it will also resist rust and paint. :)
Thanks amishMike!!!

AmishMike

Reaction score
Alex, that thing looks great!! The front spindles look like the current weak spot. I would run them until the go, but have a spare set ready.
I am curious how your 420 will go. I just bought a 459 on a deal, $100 off. It is patiently waiting to go into a concession kart. (Darned work is taking up too much time.)
When cutting threads, don't forget to break your chips. Also, I like to find a good grade 8 nut to chase my threads after cutting. That way I don't hurt the final item with burrs etc..

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Hey AmishMike,
Um..."break your chips"? (please elaborate) :thumbsup:

I've always used the wire wheel, on a bench grinder, to "clean up & de-burr" the threads after cutting
...but, if I ever have to cut some threads off, I install a grade 8 nut, to "chase the threads" after cutting ;)

AmishMike

Reaction score
When cutting threads, every turn or so you turn back 1/4 to 1/2 turn. (Even more frequent when you first start) That breaks your chips so that they don't bind up on you. Every 'cut' is different, you will know when to break them you will feel it. If you don't break your threads, they can bind up on you and really ruin things.
A wire wheel works but can also round threads. It all depends how particular you are about things.
When you have to cut threads off ie. shorten, put the nut on first then cut -way easier.
Hope that helps?

AlexBatres86

Reaction score
Alex, that thing looks great!! The front spindles look like the current weak spot. I would run them until the go, but have a spare set ready.
I am curious how your 420 will go. I just bought a 459 on a deal, $100 off. It is patiently waiting to go into a concession kart. (Darned work is taking up too much time.)
When cutting threads, don't forget to break your chips. Also, I like to find a good grade 8 nut to chase my threads after cutting. That way I don't hurt the final item with burrs etc..
AmishMike,

420 runs great, i got the hydraulic brakes done last week and drove it around the neighborhood, not the first single issue. I’m about to take it all apart next, prime it then paint is next.

how’s your project going?

AlexBatres86

Reaction score
AmishMike,

420 runs great, i got the hydraulic brakes done last week and drove it around the neighborhood, not the first single issue. I’m about to take it all apart next, prime it then paint is next.

how’s your project going?

Attachments

• 6216009B-E9B2-4B7A-8EE5-9253FA73E178.jpeg
    6216009B-E9B2-4B7A-8EE5-9253FA73E178.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 16