Adding hydraulic brake/caliper to existing disc?

chimmike

Reaction score
So short of replacing my entire axle (manco 7/8" hex) and all associated stuff, would it be possible/not entirely difficult to convert the manual brake to a hydraulic caliper/pedal setup?

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Yes. I converted my alsport over from mechanical band brake to hydraulic disc.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
got any photos? be interested in seeing!
I think it would be somewhere in this thread

DukeKL

Reaction score
I think it would be somewhere in this thread

Nice works. We may do the same conversion for the kart. I'll just finish installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the Jeep and I'll start working on the kart.

madprofessor

Erased.
Reaction score
If you do it, I highly recommend that you choose a master cylinder with a reservoir cup instead of just the barrel. I bought the cheap Chinese hydraulic setup that's just a single-barrel master cylinder, about 18" of hose, and a caliper. If you're willing to wait 6 weeks for it, it's an Ebay thing for about $20, while my 1" bore 8" solid brake disc was $32.40, and I replaced the little hose with an 84" one. Bleeding the brake is a nightmare where I hold the master cylinder in my hand plunger up at the floor, pump a couple of times, pour a thimble-full of DOT#4 fluid into the open barrel, repeat, repeat, etc., and remount the cylinder. You can leave one with a reservoir in place and just pour in the correct fluid. Me cheep and stoopid, you hoapflee knot.