8 1/2 inch rack and pinion for Arachnid

chaznaster

Reaction score
I am building an Arachnid go kart with my son. We finished welding up the main frame and are ready to move on to the front suspension block. We wanted to get our hands on the rack and pinion unit to ensure it would fit, thinking we could adjust as needed if it did not.

The rack and pinion recommended in the plans is from a place that does not appear to exist any more. I dug around on this site and found a recommendation from Da Flash to get one from NexGen Offroad, which was super helpful.

I bought a 8 1/2“ unit (based on the recommendation in the kart plans). It looks like the ”throw” (not sure of the proper technical term) is ~1 1/2 inches in either direction.

My question - is that enough travel to get a decent turning radius? Would we be better off with the 11”?

I appreciate any help you can provide … thank you.

redflash

Reaction score
I have the 8.5 on mine and I have plenty of travel for tight turns, no esta a problemo ! ( California...for it will be fine !)
Remember ( in the dirt) if you want a tighter turn......just goose it and the rear end will come around.

Da Flash