7/8 centrifugal clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. Over the summer I received a 15-20 yr old kart from a friend. So far I have repainted, remade the seats, gotten a new starter and done some basic maintenance. The engine runs fine, but the clutch is very old and worn. I was going to try and replace it, but when I tried to find one with the same bore, none came up. Do you have any suggestions on where to find a 7/8 centrifugal clutch, or what to do?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I didn't even know you could get a 7/8" clutch, period! Learn something new every day. If rebuilding the clutch is not an option, here's what I would attempt to do. Purchase a 1" clutch, and use 1/16" sheet stock or similar to adapt it.

Are you quite sure the existing is 7/8"? I have to ask. What type/size/brand is the engine?
Welcome to the forum!

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
The engine is a kawasaki FA130D BS05. The original owner said 5hp, but I am not sure. I have looked and some parts are available for other FA130D models, but not for the BS05. I measured with a caliper and I am sure of the 7/8 measurement. I also measured the clutch and it was 7/8. I may be able to try the method toy story recommended, although I may just get a new engine all together and use the engine to gain experience taking down engines.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Weird. Hope you didn't mind my asking if you were sure- I've seen dumber stuff happen.

I was going to suggest the possibility of another engine. The 1" clutch alone is likely to run you around $100. All in, a replacement engine may be cheaper (and certainly easier).

You could rebuild and sell the Kawi- maybe somebody out there will pay a good buck for it.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
This quote comes from another thread. Maybe you could give them a try. I myself have also emailed Jim, and he is really really helpful.

I has a talk with Jim Donovan today at Max-Torque LTD today, because I needed yo order a couple of custom clutches for my West Bend 820 with 5/8 to 9/16 stepped shaft.
Long story short he knew exactly what I was talking about, and exactly what I needed, he is a very smart guy and know his ****z.

We also talked a bit about other things, and talked about the Maxtorque's line of clutches, and torque converters.

Jim tells me in his words "I can make a clutch for any application."

So for you guys that are coming up with odd ball size PTO's or you need a custom clutch for your project, even custom tooth count contact Jim I'm sure he can hook you up with what ever you need.

Here's his contact info.
James F. Donovan
Max-Torque, LTD.
2180 Corporate Lane
Naperville, IL 60563
Phone: (630) 369-9600
Fax: (630) 369-9686
Email: jim@maxtorque.com

Just an FYI custom clutches depending on what your need are, will cost you a bit more than an off the shelf clutch, the two I ordered cost me $160 each + shipping, but he did tell me that they would ship out today, now that's fast service.:D

Mods you may want to sticky this for other people looking for custom clutch applications for their projects.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Okay, I'll double check the measurement, but it may not even be worth to get a custom clutch or adapt a 1" clutch. (the engine is 20yrs old and it is hard to find parts). I'll do some more research and if nothing pops up, I may just save up and get a new engine.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Now I am thinking of trying to get a 3/4 clutch (since they are cheap) and drill it out to 7/8. Would that work?

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
...thinking of trying to get a 3/4 clutch...and drill it out to 7/8. Would that work?
Might work, but then again, clutch hub wall may be too thin and weakened to the point where it will not last.
I used the following and works perfectly for my ⅞ (.875) shaft applications. It's expensive stuff but it will be done the correct way and is indestructible:

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Sorry, this is a little noobish, but I am not exactly sure what you are showing me.:huh:

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Pic 1 shows 7/8 inch PTO with above described tubing (post #12) and 1 inch bore clutch.
Steel tubing goes over PTO, THEN clutch goes over tubing. A perfect fit.
7/8 inch shaft is converted to 1 inch for use with 1 inch bore clutch.

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Reaction score
Thanks, but the only problem is cost. This go kart that I got for free is starting to be very costly.

fowler

Reaction score
there is no reason to buy a full length

go to fab shops in your town and explain what u are trying to do
they may have what u want
or at least let u rumage thought the off cut bin

u only need 5cm worth

Status
Not open for further replies.