5/8" x 1 3/8" bearings question

BigTanker

Reaction score
My son's old Manco cart has the stock wheel and use the 5/8 x 1 3/8 bearings. The one we got of Amazon didn't last all that long, especially on the drive wheel. It is kinda a pain to change it. I was reading on an older thread that most of the bearing were the same.

My question is, is there a premium bearing for that size or are we better off just buying the cheap ones in bulk and changing them more often? I've followed a few of the links to parts providers from this site and didn't see a low end vs. premium bearing.

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Unsure about the quality of one flat bearing over another, other than ball bearing (balls, basic) or roller bearing (pins, stronger). I do know that a big step up from flat bearings is tapered roller bearings. Never used them, not worth the cost or the more precise fit to me.

panchothedog

Reaction score
A new bearing should last quite a long time. Are there any stress or alignment problems?

BigTanker

Reaction score
Are you buying high-speed bearings, or regular bearings?
I was buying whatever I could find at the time. I'm not sure if they were high speed or not.

We needed 8 to start of with so I bought a 10 or 12 pack. Admittedly, these were cheap and did the job. After going through 2 sets on the single drive wheel, I'm just wondering if there is a better one out there. This size is really popular with 2 wheeled dollys and lawn equipment so my options seem to be limited. I'm not finding an advertised premium bearing.

I'm headed to a local kart shop today. I'll ask them about it.

BigTanker

Reaction score
A new bearing should last quite a long time. Are there any stress or alignment problems?
It's mainly the drive wheel. The outer bearings actually rides on part of the threads of the spindle. Poor design from Manco IMO.

My son doesn't drive it like a granny either. :)

Master Hack

Reaction score
there is so much misinformation about bearings on the web, its difficult to know what is real and what is not. I know a little about bearings, l was in the biz for many years. I’ve made, modified and otherwise molested bearings.
the three worst words on a bearing are”made in china”. The yak grease is only a small part of the problem. The rice alloy metal they use and poor quality balls complete the package.
best advice- buy a quality bearing. NTN, SKF, NSK, KOYO. to name a few.they are all Japanese. they own all the bearing companies. No such thing made in USA.
Avoid the kart shops, auto parts, 7-11 etc. go to a bearing house pay a few bux and be done. Every major city has a bearing house. Motion industries, mcguire, worldwide etc. google is your friend. The bearing you refer to is a 99502h not the most common but available. I have made those in ceramic hybrids for race teams, performance shops, and speed freaks for years.
there is a lot more l could go on about, but that is probably all you want to know.
my saying is”it takes a lot of balls to build bearings”

Functional Artist

Reaction score
This size is really popular with 2 wheeled dollys and lawn equipment so my options seem to be limited.
IMO, right there is the issue

The bearings (tires, rims etc.) manufactured for 2 wheel dollies & lawn equipment are designed for low speed use
...& when they (most anything, really) are used "out of specs" they fail (some stuff fails sooner than later)

Bearings labeled as High Speed, are not just an upgrade/selling point
...they are specifically made for use on things that rotate fast (like go kart wheels) ;)

Master Hack

Reaction score
Inch series bearings are the unloved 3rd cousins. It is difficult to find quality bearings in inch sizes. Another issue here is that a bearing of that size is not really up to the task. That bearing has been used successfully in front wheel hubs for eons. To put it in an application where it is taking a radial load from a drive chain yanking on it coupled with and axial (thrust) load is asking a lot. You would do yourself a favor to redesign that and put a larger bearing in its place. Or, if you can double up. Put two in there as an angular contact pair. I could bore you with a few hours of bearing info but there is no real point.
I don't want to start a pissing match here, but there are two problems here, Made in china is one and size really does matter. High speed/low speed really don't matter much in this application. Just my $.02

Last edited:

BigTanker

Reaction score
Thanks @Master Hack for the info. I understand what you're saying. This isn't a race kart, just a fun kart. All of the effort to make a proper bearing work isn't worth it to us.

My son can change the set in a wheel in about 15 minutes. Start to finish. We'll just keep on doing that. I'll try and track down some from your list in post #10.

I appreciate all of the input!

BigTanker

Reaction score
As the cart is currently assembled and running, I grabbed a pic from the web to give help.

1000001782.png