420 chain and #40 and #41 sprockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mechtician

Gargamel Jr.
Reaction score
The pitch will be the same but a 420 motorcycle chain is narrower than an ANSI 40 or 41 chain, so no it won't fit. A 425 or 428 chain, however, would fit just fine.

The Mechtician

Gargamel Jr.
Reaction score
Yes, it WILL fit as the rollers are smaller although the pitch and roller width are the same.
Are you 100% sure? My machinery's handbook says different. As does the Complete Chain Guide, a valuable internet resource I've gotten good use out of in the past: The Complete Chain Guide, section 1.5.2: Motorcycle Chains. Tsubaki's website also has some useful chain dimension charts: Tsubaki ANSI standard roller chain.

What it all boils down to is that a 420 chain roller is 6.35mm wide, while a #41 is 6.38mm. It may be a small difference and not noticeable when fitting, but it's enough to cause binding when under load, and can potentially pop a link if the chain is transmitting a lot of power (which it might be, since the only reason the OP would ask such a question is if they were planning on powering a kart with a bike engine). My 0.02, of course :cheers2:

redsox985

Reaction score
If those small amounts are THAT big of an issue, then he could purchase #420 sprockets online. The problem is that they are considerably more expensive and tougher to find. A #420 sprocket will ensure fit, although I wouldn't hesitate to run the #420 chain with a #40/41 sprocket on my kart.

Cstyle00

Reaction score
I bought a ten foot roll, lol, I'm too far in too quite now, I'll be getting some video's on youtube soon. Bent my jackshaft, still can't believe it. Wonder how much I should be spending on this anyway in the long run.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
The pitch will be the same but a 420 motorcycle chain is narrower than an ANSI 40 or 41 chain, so no it won't fit. A 425 or 428 chain, however, would fit just fine.

Given the width I'd say it will fit a sprocket designed for #41 chain but not 40, also.... have you held up a piece of 428 chain next to a piece of 420??? Help me out here man, I've compared them, very seldom can I ever use 428 for go-kart purposes even when I want to given the awesome strength. Its just too narrow.

The Mechtician

Gargamel Jr.
Reaction score
I agree that 420 chain is more expensive. If Cstyle00 is already neck-deep in 420 chain then it's kinda too late, just use lots of lube! As my grandpa used to say, you can never have too much lube...
have you held up a piece of 428 chain next to a piece of 420??? Help me out here man, I've compared them, very seldom can I ever use 428 for go-kart purposes even when I want to given the awesome strength. Its just too narrow.
428 is old school! Lots of older dirtbikes from the late 70's thru the early 90's used 428 chain. The steady increase in power output from newer bikes has forced a move to 520 or 525 chain (in dirtbikes, at least). However, 428 chain is still used on kids bikes (eg; Kawi KLX110's, Honda XR70's/50's, etc). I'm confused though, you say it's too narrow? I'm pretty sure it's wider than 420 (width inside the links). The rollers are significantly larger though, maybe that's why it never fits for you?

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct regarding roller size and plate thickness, that leads me into a hole where I can't always use 428. Narrow was a vague term, next time I'll be more specific, my bad :p

Cstyle00

Reaction score
Well, I am up to my neck in 420 Chain, it's suppose to be the strongest we use on the dune buggy carts we are building. At least that's what I was told, I just found gopowersports.com has 40/420/41 jackshaft sprockets that go up to 16 teeth. Not too bad, around 12 bux per sprocket. Anyone else know where I can find 420 jackshaft/drive sprockets 5/8" ID? Nine teeth and ten teeth are easy to find, I would prefer a sprocket that fits perfect with the chain. I need to get more speed but don't want to change my axle sprocket but probably will in the long run.

Cstyle00

Reaction score
That's what they said at goKartsupply. I have a 12 tooth coming sense you guys recommend not going higher than a 15 with the 60 tooth axle. I still don't know why?

Status
Not open for further replies.