36 tooth rear sprocket, how bad is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
So the kart project I have has a welded 36 tooth rear sprocket, what will this be like if I use a 10 tooth #35 centrifugal clutch on a 5hp Briggs? Should I look for a 60 tooth that I can bolt or weld to the 36 tooth instead? The axle is not keyed and is solid stock

or I could run this jackshaft setup and down(?)size the front pulley on the crank of the engine and ditch the cent clutch idea

thoughts???

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
No belt clutch..... ! Use a cent clutch, build a jackshaft to get around the axle sprocket being given welded on. Give me a second and ill tell you what you need to get to 6:1....
Wait, what size ate those tires?

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
why is 6:1 so necessary anyways? would a 3.6:1 not give me any takeoff power or something? I calculate a 36 rear sprocket giving me around 16-17MPH more than a 60T rear would

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
You can get away with maybe a 4.8:1 or 5.2:1, but that would be as high as I would go.... MAYBE 4.2:1 if your engine is pumping out lots of hp..... Meaning NOT stock.....

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
I think I am just gonna buy a 60tooth #35 sprocket and bolt it to the 36tooth sprocket rather than mess with buying crap for a jackshaft setup.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
template with 3/4 bore placed over the axle onto the welded sprocket. Made a template on CAD program. Should be perfect. Sprocket is already drilled for 2-7/8" bolt pattern.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Post pics or video.....
Why not just use the jack shaft you have already, and swap out the pulley for the correct sprocket? Will that not work for you? It also allows you to play with ratios a lot easier (cheaper) till you find what you really like..... :idea2:

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
yeah, that jackshaft is waaaaay to narrow to reach where the rear sprocket it and where the clutch sprocket will be. Not gonna work at all.
Is there not a readily available 60 tooth sprocket that is welded to a 3/4 bore hub anywhere? They seem to be unobtanium

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Use the housing and add an axle that would be long enough. If needed, add one more bearing on one side to support excessive over hang. That would be my way of doing it..... Should be straightforward and simple enough, which kinda reads "cheap"..... :lolgoku:

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
except I'd have to buy another axle, a bearing and support, a clutch, more chain, and another sprocket too. My way, all I need is the clutch and the sprocket. Muey Bueno

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
except I'd have to buy another axle, a bearing and support, a clutch, more chain, and another sprocket too. My way, all I need is the clutch and the sprocket. Muey Bueno

:funnypost::thumbsup:
Question.... Is that the right rear or left rear (standing behind kart) that the sprocket is next to?

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
why is 6:1 so necessary anyways? would a 3.6:1 not give me any takeoff power or something? I calculate a 36 rear sprocket giving me around 16-17MPH more than a 60T rear would

My kart is 7:1 and I was getting 18 mph on a stock governed flathead. Same gearing on an ungoverned predator gets me 34 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.