2021 Build Off - Cannibal Kart

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
Long time lurker here! I finally made an account to post about my current build. I have learned so much from this site and want to thank all of your for the helpful info over the years.

This gokart build is for my son. He's still a little young to operate a kart but will be able to ride with me by the time I finish it.

It started life as an older racing (clutch?) Kart, which turned out to have a bent frame. I decided to cannibalize the parts and build something new, rather than passing a bent frame onto the next sucker.. also, the new kart will be a two seater, which is a great way to teach my son and selfishly let me have some fun driving it too :)

So far I've got the tools gathered, the metal (0.100" x 1" x 1"), an 8hp honda engine, and all the parts from the old racing kart.

Here's some progress pics so far. More to follow as I have time to work on it. Any tips are always welcome! Take care everyone.

20201121_190745.jpg20201121_190717.jpg20201121_190813.jpg20201121_190803.jpg20201122_141512.jpg20201126_191814.jpg

[EDIT - Dec 16 - entering BUILD OFF]
Late entry! I don't expect to finish this kart for the 2020 build off, but I wanted register anyways to start an official build thread. Realistically, ill be done this kart mid to late 2021, so ill definitely be entering it in the 2021 build off!

I've built a few karts over the years and been a long time lurker on here. This site has so many knowledgeable people and has helped me out countless times. So thanks everyone!

This gokart build is for my son. He's still a little small to drive it, but hopefully will be able to ride with me by the time I'm done. I started building the kart a few weeks ago but ill post some pics of the early stages of the build to keep this thread up to date!

I've named this kart the Cannibal because I'll be using parts from another kart. The donor is a cadet clutch kart that turned out to have a bent frame. I figured I'd weld up my own frame and make it a two seater while I'm at it :)

Parts (so far):
0.100x1x1 mild steel for the frame and cage
Misc plate steel for gussets and engine plate
Honda 8hp
Donor rear axle
Donor wheels and tires
Donor spindles
Moosun 30 series torque converter
Donor steering
Donor disc brake

Any tips or suggestions are always welcome! Here are some progress pics so far. Take care everyone.

20201213_195436.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
Morning everyone! I was able to get some tack welding done on the kart yesterday. I've now got a rolling frame and I'm starting to dive deeper into design issues and adjustments.

I have learned from this site that steering angles (camber, kpi, caster, and Ackermann) are very important to a karts operation. It took me much longer than I care to admit, but I finally settled on 7° caster and 2° camber after a few attempts. I want it to handle well at speed but also be easy enough for my son to steer at lower speeds.

**Looking for some input: I'm torn between leaving it open top or welding up a roll cage. Thoughts?

Ezcome-ezgo: lol, my dog tore up the box so I've got to find a new home for the nails and staples :)

20201129_152712.jpg20201201_194118.jpg20201201_194129.jpg20201201_194019.jpg

jamyers

Reaction score
2 suggestions:

1. Add some gussets or triangle braces in there where the frame 'kicks up' in front of the rear axle.

2. Enter the DIY build contest.

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
Jamyers: thanks for the suggestions! I'm working on some designs for a cage that will incorporate a reinforcement to the front axle as you mentioned. If I don't go the cage route, I'll definitely be adding some gussets or creative tube geometry.

How do I enter the contest?

jamyers

Reaction score

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
I took advantage of the nice weather and got some more work done today! I decided against a full cage and just added a roll bar instead.

There's still a fair amount more fab work to be done on the frame. The most difficult part is getting the angles correct in 3 dimensions with square tube. Ill get it figured out with a little more headscratching! I need to add one more support on the front axle to the upper frame, and another from the upper frame back to the base frame.

The little guy is definitely taking an interest in what I'm doing so thats pretty cool too :)

20201204_143946.jpg
20201204_143933.jpg20201204_143959.jpg20201204_144542.jpg

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
Another update after some more fab work! I've got the frame and partial cage pretty much complete. Just a few more small things to add then final weld up. Here are a couple pictures!

I've got a few questions that hopefully the mass knowledge on here can help with:

1) For an 8hp motor, will #35 chain be ok or should I use #40?

2) I think I've got #219 chain and sprocket on the axle currently. Can I use the sprocket mount and just add a #35 sprocket? ( see picture, looks like 5.25in bolt circle or possibly metric)

3) what thickness for the underpan skin? 1/8"?

Take care!20201206_145302.jpg20201206_145323.jpg20201206_145804.jpg

jamyers

Reaction score
#35 is ok for an 8-horse engine, but it'll wear / stretch it faster than you'd like. I'd go with a bigger chain like #40, 420, etc. Whatever size is more readily available - thinking about sprockets as well. For instance, Tractor Supply carries #40 chain and usually an assortment of sprockets, but #420 seems more common among online vendors. (I just pulled my hair out trying to find somebody locally who had a #35, 16-tooth, B-hub sprocket for a 5/8" shaft)

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
Another update! I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the kart but I managed to get the roll cage made up and tacked in place.

After a few test fits I'm feeling less confident that I'll be driving this gokart. It turned out quite a bit smaller than expected :) oh well! It'll be perfect for two kids and maybe I'll be able to take it for a few uncomfortable drives.. I guess I'll just have to build another one for myself :)

Still waiting on some parts before test mounting the engine. I'm hoping to complete a lot more welding work over the holidays, time permitting.

I managed to cut my hand pretty good on a sharp burr but the work must go on!

Take care and merry Christmas!

20201220_143330.jpg20201220_125000.jpg

TheDADgineer

Reaction score
Quick update! Some parts arrived, including the torque converter and chain. Sprocket is on order. I also cut out a bunch of the smaller pieces such as gussets, seatbelt mounts, engine mount, floor mounting tabs, pedal mounts, etc. The small details truly do take the most time..

I wasn't happy with the roll cage geometry both for appearance and strength so I cut it all off to start over. In the picture below i've drawn on the proposed finished cage. I'm hoping to get it mocked up in the next few weekends. Bit of a setback but worth it!

I'm looking into some bigger tires to give it some more 'bounce'. The lack of suspension and very ridged frame will be a little harsh. Possibly atv tires? Or turf savers? I really like the big rear tires on the dingos. Any other ideas? The rims need to line up with the 3 bolt pattern in the rear.

20210101_125942.jpg20210111_141032.jpg20210111_150354.jpg
20210111_154429.jpg20210111_150911.jpg

Last edited: