2020 - Chopper/bobber trike

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200323_170825.jpg

My build off entry, not sure which powerplant I'm using quite yet, but I'll be cutting the steering neck from the non titled motorcycle frame so I can use a true motorcycle front end, considering using a springer front fork and possibly an extra 21" front wheel I have.

Sid helped me identify the rear axle as a peerless model 100 differential, it will end up with a much bigger axle sprocket, and I'm sure I'll be using either a honda or clone small block as it fits almost perfectly inside the frame without a tank and the factory air cleaner housing, or factory muffler. So I'll be making a custom header, and looking for a stage 1 style air filter, along with an old comet 30 series I've got.

Considering building this to match my entry for last year, and build a trailer for it to go behind the scrap rod here and there, haul it to a friends house and let them play on one, should be a fun build for sure.

Austin_Gore

Reaction score
put a dirt bike tire on the extra 21" front wheel you have so that when you turn if you are on grass it will actually turn instead of just sliding and possibly crashing and plus it would look kinda mad max ish which would be cool

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

and you are going to have to flip the pearless unless you plan on running a jack-shaft

Smerft85

Reaction score
put a dirt bike tire on the extra 21" front wheel you have so that when you turn if you are on grass it will actually turn instead of just sliding and possibly crashing and plus it would look kinda mad max ish which would be cool

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

and you are going to have to flip the pearless unless you plan on running a jack-shaft

Almost my exact thoughts on the front tire, and with making it match the scrap rod mad max pretty much sums it up, I like rat rodded cars and such, and the original Mel Gibson mad max is among my top 10 favorite movies.

The peerless is going to have to be shorter on one side so I can get the sprockets lined up, but the way its mounted on the makeshift frame it's on I cant tell top from bottom, and a jackshaft is for sure a possibility, I want to gear it crazy low so it might stand up with a heavy motorcycle front, put some of the cheap harbor freight wheels I have laying around as a wheelie bar maybe. There is still a bunch of things that are up in the air right now, but those are the main parts I have in mind. Those rear tires are 21" ATV tires, so I have to gear low anyway, but the 21" front wheel has a much bigger diameter, so I think it will set the look nicely, hopefully it turns decent. Don't have any grass around, but I do have the old bicycle trails we designed as kids 20 something years ago, haven't ever known who actually owns the land, but never been told no, and a lot of folks romp around over there, so might as well.

Smerft85

Reaction score
I'm not even sure I'd do a wheelie bar, but I have a pile of those wheels from previous owners of several karts I've taken in that didn't know better, ideally if I did use them they would be primarily for looks and never touch the ground, I don't think even a 212 would give the front that much lift, we'll see. Been a looooooong time since I've been on a trike of any sort, I'm fine with 2 or 4 wheels, 3 kinda gives me the willies a little bit, I remember steering is completely different but not much else. I'll have to ease my way into it at first, old bones don't heal as well as teenage bones.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200324_174329.jpg

And we have a donor engine! Came off a kart I got in a steal of a deal today, and wont be needing that tank anyway, perfect! Posted a couple pics of the kart under crazy craigslist finds if anyone cares to see. Also go 20 of the 40 pounds of flux core wire i ordered delivered today, welding should commence soon!

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Hey @smerft85 ,

Looking good on the Bobber Trike project.

I really like the low slung seat and the use of a diff on the rear end. Big tires on a live axle or spool are definitely harder to steer, so this should be a better, but still "boney" ride !

When I was a younger (45 yrs ago) we would take the worn out Big Wheel trikes and slice the frame to insert a 2x4 to stretch it out so we could ride them even though we had outgrown them.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Smerft85

Reaction score
That is almost how this is going to have to be, minus a 2x4. I'll try to find an image of what the frame originally was, indeed it was a kids toy, but not any more.

Thank you for the warm compliments, as soon as I saw that diff I knew what it's new life was going to be, and I'm sure it'll ride like a hardtail Harley with an extra wheel, short rides only. Those little springer seats don't offer much in the cushion department I'm sure.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200325_185122.jpg

Got my throttle control and killswitch today. Once I get some motivation to clean up the garage I'll be getting to making this thing a trike. Didn't realize before, but I have just about everything I need for it, got $22 invested so far in parts, only other thing I've ordered is 40 pounds of flux core at $140 total, if it's good wire I'll post a link up later, it's the cheapest I've been able to find.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200329_220255.jpg

20200329_220309.jpg

Got the frame stretched, steering neck and forks came off a freebie pocket rocket, they are installed. I'm going to build my own forks but use those triple trees and hopefully do a long narrow springer, and I may look for a front wheel around the 18" size, I think my 21" would be too tall. Rear end, tank and the honda along with engine plate are only mocked up, I'll have to move the rear back a little further still because my seat is resting on the axle sprocket and still might have to shorten one side of the rear axle or run a jackshaft, but its progress.

Smerft85

Reaction score
stick with the 21¨ rim it will look bada**

I think the 21" would make it lean way back, even an 18" may still not sit level, but I'm definitely going bigger than the tiny thing sitting on it right now. If I make the forks short enough it may still have that "bigwheel" look, but I may still need a smaller wheel than 21".

Smerft85

Reaction score
20200401_121513.jpg

I admit defeat! The 21" will fit, barely, and would sit nearly level even before a bit better fork. Also admit I really like the look! Has big boys big wheel written all over it!

Smerft85

Reaction score
That is the look I was talking about! :thumbsup:

Stance is a bit higher than I thought I originally wanted, but it grew on me quickly, robbing that little pocket bike has helped a lot, hopefully I can manage the ugly Springer I have, I wont put it on a good bike, but it's almost meant to be on this thing.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
How about something in between ?

I just took the front end off my junker CBR. It could move from my parts pile to yours if you pay shipping...

It has a 17" wheel with 2 * 12" disk brakes !
I can make some measurements and weigh it if you are interested.

There's a catch though. I want to build a 3 wheeler too, but for the dirt.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk