2017 - Gas Krazy Kart XXL - DNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
You said this is all Getting Huge.
I like your thinking out of the Box...
But would it be better to just get a Horizontal Shaft Predator?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
You said this is all Getting Huge.
I like your thinking out of the Box...
But would it be better to just get a Horizontal Shaft Predator?

if i was building a go kart or a mini bike yah. But for this i want the powered wheel to be the steering wheel. if i had Horizontal i would have more problems.

Could maybe just take mini bike rear end and stand up, add steering to frame. Done... maybe. add throttle to steering wheel.

Think of bumper car steering. Where you steer where you want to go. but faster :)

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Okay it's been a while since i've posted updates. been busy.
so i have a couple posts.

First here is a possible layout of the parts i have so far.

Needs to be cut down. so that's what i did.

Attachments

• IMAG1679.jpg
    IMAG1679.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 10

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So off to cutting down and cleaning up the steering/axle assembly. I shortened it down about 1" to 2". Will need to cut the axle down too. The axle is currently 14" i'm thinking 10" after i cut it down.

Attachments

• IMAG1689.jpg
    IMAG1689.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1690.jpg
    IMAG1690.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1691.jpg
    IMAG1691.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 3

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So the hole cutting set is coming in handy. Cut my sprocket to fit the 1.5" steering pipe.

From the excess parts i cut off the steering assembly and modified(bent with hammer) the spacer pipe until it fit snug against the steering pipe. then ground open my sprocket to fit tight. Will need to partially weld and add nut/bolt so i can fasten it down. should be keyed...but im not sure how to add that...will not be good to have steering slip. So will need to figure something out with this.

Attachments

• IMAG1697.jpg
    IMAG1697.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1695.jpg
    IMAG1695.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1693.jpg
    IMAG1693.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1700.jpg
    IMAG1700.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1699.jpg
    IMAG1699.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 3

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Out on a junk scavenge today I found a huge pile of bikes! Great score. found enough with the same sprocket and teeth count. 18T. So i pulled 4 bikes apart to get the sprockets. 1 had 16T ugh....oh well i only needed 3 more. so now i have enough for my steering system! yay me. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG1731.jpg
    IMAG1731.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 5

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Worked on the internal frame today. Cut my steering jackshaft hole to big. Need to weld a ring in place. Should be ok. Need to cut the top piece and then i can tack weld it together.

I have a 6' piece of 3" square tube that i can use for the top. Will need to cut it to size.

Attachments

• IMAG1741.jpg
    IMAG1741.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1743.jpg
    IMAG1743.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG1745.jpg
    IMAG1745.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 6

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
When you are welding a frame, it is a good idea to spot weld before fully welding up a frame. Thankfully this is what i did. because after i welded the first part of the frame to the steering chassis i did it upside down :( as you can see in the image and the reference drawing behind it.

IMAG1780.jpg

So a couple spot welds removed and good to go.

IMAG1782.jpg

Then i welded up the top part of the steering bracket. It holds but not great. Will need to put set screws in the side maybe? I would weld to steering but i may need to remove later. so i have to do it this way. And no room for a key on the shaft.

IMAG1783.jpg IMAG1786.jpg

And the semi completed internal frame work. Still a ton of welding to do :(

IMAG1791.jpg

Sorry looks like i had some bad lighting. I will take some new ones and replace maybe :)

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So tonight i worked on the steering transfer gears and axle mounts. you can see before and after on the sprockets.

IMAG1796.jpg

Still need to build key slots into them. Going to be a long day of filling i think. but they look like they fit okay and are fairly straight.

Will need to add another sprocket to tighten chain. it's not that tight and it hangs. so a tensioner will need to be designed or purchased :)
IMAG1798.jpg IMAG1801.jpg

What am i building??? maybe i should start another thread where people can guess what this is :)

Even my wife was in the garage today and said what is this for again?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I did some work a week ago and never posted it. As you may know i got a couple mini bikes and they are keeping me busy :)

I needed to take off the lawnmower blade mount on the engine shaft im using. I picked up some PB Blaster to loosen up the parts...
IMAG1805.jpg
....well this was going to take a while and im not a patient man.

So i cut the :censored: thing off.
IMAG1806.jpg IMAG1809.jpg

Now the clutch fits but i still have the pulley mount on the shaft...Think this is going to be a problem? should i leave it on in case i want to use it? like generator pulley connection for lights?

IMAG1810.jpg IMAG1812.jpg

Or is it going to make an unstable clutch since it's not all the way on?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
...Oh and I also made the other side of the steering bearing mounts have edges. i only had one side done and it seemed like it was going to work okay so i modified the other side to be the same.

IMAG1816.jpg IMAG1817.jpg

Then i also worked on the actual steering wheel axle and gear. Used a 5/8" collar and bicycle gear to complete the needed gears.

IMAG1815.jpg

Once welded in place i used a file and created a keyway. There is a gap in the images but i went back and welded up the outside of the collar to eliminate flex on the keyway opening.

IMAG1818.jpg IMAG1821.jpg

Thinking another week or two on the mini bikes and i will get back to this project. It is a 2017 build off. Don't want to be done too early.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I think i found my seat for the krazy kart. May need the cloth replaced with some leather. But i may just keep as is.

Attachments

• IMAG1958.jpg
    IMAG1958.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 2

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
just mount it backwards
like this

I can't. It is 1" bore and does not go all the way through at 1"....think because it's 10T they had to design it smaller at the sprocket. I may just mount engine a little higher than planned. Use the pulley for generator, lights.

P.s. that image... Looks like they added another adapter as well to make it work...

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Okay it's been a long time since i worked on this. California weather has been FREAKIN HOT all summer. So im thinking i need to get back out in the garage now and try to finish this thing. or at least try to make it work.

So i was thinking i need a (suicide\brodie) knob to make steering easier. since i wont be able to see tire direction .... posibly...i can have the knob an forward direction and it will help me direction this krazy contraption.

So i picked this up for $5 on ebay a month ago.
BrodieKnob.jpg

It just came in this morning. i thought was wood but is plastic wood? WT? anyways. now i need steering wheel to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.