2016 - D-DAY MACHINE, Manco J. Willy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirHoustonTexas

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen!! I am honored to be lucky enough to come across a place where people like myself(never grown up, grown ups) can come together and share creativity in the form of head turnin mini machines. Unlucky for you, you have another Texan coming through town to create something for the record books. Only this time it's worse... this ones from the bayou city. That's Houston, Texas baby! A place in Texas where you have the talk of a city slicker and the heart of cowboy. Enough about me, let's talk about this kart. We're talking rough, we're talkin tough, we're talkin history in the making inspired by history! This operation is not being planned with any alternatives. This operation is planned as a victory, and that’s the way it’s going to be!!!! A go kart that will live in infamy!! A go kart to change the tides of history slinging mud and kicking up dirt the entire way!!!!!! Coming soon is Manco J. Willy, Model 1 and only!

Frame will be a late 80s early 90s Manco 2 seater that looks like it's been through the ringer let me tell ya.
Parts from:
BMIKARTS
GOPOWERSPORTS
GOKARTSUSA
GOKARTSUPPLY
HONDA
NRRACING
JEGS
SUMMITRACING
uuummmmmmm...
Amazon?? I think.
Hard to remember, being that I'm 6 months in on this already

Powering this beast will be a 2013 Honda GX390 laced with a stage II hop up kit from nrracing.com.

This is build is inspired by the original jeep used in WWII.

New to this forum fellas. This sounds like a whole lotta fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

SirHoustonTexas

Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg

Who needs a hardly used pressure washer? Grown ups... Not me!! I see potential elsewhere!

image.jpg

Old O.G. 5.5hp compared to 13hp. Yikes!!
Will she hold?? I think so.

image.jpg

Just eyeballin it. Jeez what a rust bucket....

image.jpeg

This battle of a build began somewhere between late Jan. early Feb. I'd say the day I bought that there beast of a motor. Each step was spaced out due to lack of monetary resources and supplies. Now I've elevated this mission to full scale. Frame was purchased the day after Christmas 2015. The build log parts pile picture is the most recent picture. Amazingly enough I discovered this contest the night I did the tear down for paint, so I literally just had to scoot everything just a lil closer and write on a piece of paper!! Now that operations are at full go, there will be many frequent updates. Thread will be up to current shortly. I promise, this will not disappoint, there is no other like this. Soon you'll see how we do it in H-TOWN. So keep posted and I trust you'll see who is the true victor in this fight. Godspeed...

image.jpeg

Love at first sight:idea2:

image.jpeg
Before (Wimpy motor Mount)
image.jpg
After (1/4 inch plate)

image.jpg
Mild Cam.

Yes I know that's the balancer that's pulled out but it's the only picture I had.

image.jpg

Hop up kit.

Houston, we have 16hp!

image.jpg
Current status

Hop up kit not installed yet includes
K&N style air filter
Header
Heavy duty valve springs
Milled and ported head
Bored out carburetor
Mild cam
6 degree offset timing key
Non rev limiting coil
Chromoly pushrods

Will try to have it up and running tomorrow

image.jpg

The stance. Oh my.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Primed!!

image.jpg

Dark Olive green bedliner

image.jpeg

See where I'm going with this??:D:D:D:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Just one minor detail with this build. I personally don't care, because even if I do get my build finished, I'm probably not going to be in the running.

But....what I'm seeing is a LOT of work done before the contest even began. I'm seeing basically a completely finished kart....(except for painting and some engine modifications.)

Now....maybe he has a lot more in store for this kart....:popcorn: ...but as I see it, this thing was WAY past 50% when entered....and not fair to the other participants.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Just one minor detail with this build.
But....what I'm seeing is a LOT of work done before the contest even began. I'm seeing basically a completely finished kart....(except for painting and some engine modifications.)

Now....maybe he has a lot more in store for this kart....:popcorn: ...but as I see it, this thing was WAY past 50% when entered....and not fair to the other participants.

I second that. (If it matters):smiley_omg:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Just one minor detail with this build. I personally don't care, because even if I do get my build finished, I'm probably not going to be in the running.

I did think long and hard about that, but thought that in the end people will vote how they see it. The person who really did an excellent job in their build is still going to win:thumbsup:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I did think long and hard about that, but thought that in the end people will vote how they see it. The person who really did an excellent job in their build is still going to win:thumbsup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence....but if it's ok to start with a lead....is it ok to finish late?

I mean really, rules are made to be broken....but....would it really be fair to the guys building from scratch if by some miracle this guy won....????

I think we need a vote...he can always try again next year on an even playing field.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
To be fair, Getsome also had an admitted, two-day jump on the gun.:sarcasm:

Cool build! What is left to do besides the hop up kit?
Not to take away from the build (which I like :thumbsup:)... Just being a straight shooter here:2guns:, unless there is a bunch of GAB still to be done, the head start will probably play a part in my voting, UNLESS you have $$$! I can become very forgetful of times and dates. Christmas is still a long ways off.

Attachments

• Getsome.jpg
    Getsome.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 10

SirHoustonTexas

Reaction score
CLEARLY STATED IN RULE 7

7) Must NOT be more than 50% completed prior to the 2016 calendar year. If you have been building, please post some photos showing the build. We don't want to penalize anyone for being ambitious! But we do want to see the build process. Pics of the steps. Previously completed builds or lightly modifying builds for the contest will not qualify. As part of qualification, contest entrants will post a picture of the major parts source(s), including a sign showing the commencement date and code word.

So to those concerned that I started the build before the contest began, you are correct! The rules are as stated "before the 2016 calendar year". I just learned of this contest a few days ago and I thought "wow how cool is this and how lucky am I to be right within the timeframe" a huge coincidence since I had no knowledge of the contest.

ALSO I explained that I started in Jan or February. And I probably won't finish for another month. That's 7 or 8 months so for those starting in April will have spent possibly more time on their build than me by the time December rolls around.

NOT ONLY THAT BUT BUILDS THAT WERE ENTERED IN A PREVIOUS YEAR ARE EVEN ALLOWED IN THE CONTEST!!!!!

So please if I am missing something here let me know. I don't want to hurt POBOY KARTMAN's feelings for having a better looking kart than his... (Just kidding, all in good fun)

On a serious note,

1)Some Of y'all are sounding like what we in Houston like to call "haters"
2)I am new to this thread so maybe I missed something else but I wasn't aware there would be a vote on who would be allowed in the contest as well
3)I certainly planned on entering a second build, so even if the haters get their way you ain't getting rid of me.

Thanks for your concern fellas I want to stay within the rules of course. But I would like it clearly explained to me which ones I'm breaking because I thought I was in the clear.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
CLEARLY STATED IN RULE 7

7) Must NOT be more than 50% completed prior to the 2016 calendar year. If you have been building, please post some photos showing the build. We don't want to penalize anyone for being ambitious! But we do want to see the build process. Pics of the steps. Previously completed builds or lightly modifying builds for the contest will not qualify. As part of qualification, contest entrants will post a picture of the major parts source(s), including a sign showing the commencement date and code word.

So to those concerned that I started the build before the contest began, you are correct! The rules are as stated "before the 2016 calendar year". I just learned of this contest a few days ago and I thought "wow how cool is this and how lucky am I to be right within the timeframe" a huge coincidence since I had no knowledge of the contest.

ALSO I explained that I started in Jan or February. And I probably won't finish for another month. That's 7 or 8 months so for those starting in April will have spent possibly more time on their build than me by the time December rolls around.

NOT ONLY THAT BUT BUILDS THAT WERE ENTERED IN A PREVIOUS YEAR ARE EVEN ALLOWED IN THE CONTEST!!!!!

So please if I am missing something here let me know. I don't want to hurt POBOY KARTMAN's feelings for having a better looking kart than his... (Just kidding, all in good fun)

On a serious note,

2)I am new to this thread so maybe I missed something else but I wasn't aware there would be a vote on who would be allowed in the contest as well
3)I certainly planned on entering a second build, so even if the haters get their way you ain't getting rid of me.

Thanks for your concern fellas I want to stay within the rules of course. But I would like it clearly explained to me which ones I'm breaking because I thought I was in the clear.

:welcome2:
:smiley_omg: :lolgoku: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I did see it the way Poboy did. But you got the approval from Landuse the Moderator.
So don't sweat it you are good to go. and you were also totally honest about when you started it. ans posted the build process and pics.
[edit] Oh yeah and we are a giant bunch of Smart Azzes, so....

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
CLEARLY STATED IN RULE 7

On a serious note,

Everything is good, so don't listen to the other guys. They are putting the scare tactics on you because their builds aren't up to scratch :D:D:D (especially Poboys)

SirHoustonTexas

Reaction score
This frame seems (from what I've observed since I bought it) the more rare but less sought after frames from Manco. Everyone wants the Dingo of course, even me. But the only other one I've seen, other than rarely on Google, is last years winner. The other guy from West Texas. You see a lot of the one wheel drive version of mine. Or this one below. Where can I find good info on this company. I've searched online and it's like the company vanished.image.jpeg

So not a whole lot has visibly progressed since my last build post but I'll update on that and go into a lil more detail with everything I've posted. I think it might be a little confusing the way I ordered it. What's held me up on the motor upgrades is the first step I'm doing and that's the offset timing key. I've pulled many flywheels but not this tiny lol so apparently I need a puller ok done with that for the day. Added the rotor and sprocket to the axle (the one in the pics is a 48 tooth... Way too small!!!) have a 72 tooth #40 now. Mocked up the motor with the clutch and sprocket and there's about an inch of space between the clutch and sprocket. More once I adjust the tension.image.jpg

I just went back and looked. There's about 3/8 of inch space between the clutch sprocket teeth and the drive sprocket teeth. It's so close the sprocket covers some of the clutch lol! When I slide the motor to tension the chain it will space out but man.image.jpg

Has a really mean stance.image.jpg

Every last nut and bolt was replaced on this build:
ALL HARDWARE
AXLE
BEARINGS
SPROCKET
DISC BRAKE UPGRADE
16x8-7 Carlisle directional muds
145/70-6 fronts
TIE RODS
SPINDLES
HD GAS&BRAKE PEDALS