2016 - Beer Crate Racer (winner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
2016 Champion
IMG_0076.jpg IMG_0079.jpg

Thanks to all my Friends here There it is the winning Kart for 2016.
If you can Imagine it you can Build it, and below and on the Following pages is how I did this one.

Alright I will get this started.
Here is my Entry for the 2016 DIYGK Build off.
I will be building a "Fahrende Bierkiste".
For those of you not named Sid, It is a Beer Krate Racer.

The difficulty of this project is these are NOT popular this side of the Pond. So unless you speak German and (I do Not) it is difficult to find alot of info, build threads or build plans.

I have been doing some research and with the help of Google Translate I have been able to scrape enough info together to commence building.

These Bierkistes usually use a small 125cc motorcycle engine with tranny. I however will be using the Typical Clone motor. More on that as we get there,

My small parts pile consists of some parts from a Good Craig's list haul last month and some bits I had lying around. The small silver Axle will be my steering Rod. I had it left over from a stock "Razor Buggy" It will be nice cause I have bearing hangars that fit it.

Finally on this parts pile are my Spindle Bearings. I got the hangars with the other CL parts. Then I bought some 7/8od bearings with a 3/8 Bore. I then shipped it all to Utah, and asked Desertduler to machine me Barrels to hold the bearings. Just got these today :wai:
I was nice to do a fellow member a favor, I just couldn't see Brett wasting away in retirement with nothing to do! :sarcasm:

So anyway now I have my own Thread and Project so I can do more than just :stir:

Attachments

• diygk sign.JPG
    diygk sign.JPG
    596.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4453.jpg
    IMG_4453.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4456.jpg
    IMG_4456.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Nice parts pile, but where are the fruits and nuts?

I remember talk of this beer box kart awhile back...but couldn't remember who talked about.

Best wishes on your build buddy! !!! (And I'll be watching close, just WAITING for the teeniest screw up, so I can pick on you!!!!!):lolgoku: JK.

Good luck!:popcorn:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes. You guys got to this before me. I was still waiting for approval.
Now I don't want to "turn in my man card" or anything. (I am already in Ca) But I do not drink Beer.
I just think these little Karts are Cool. So for the actual Krate I will be doing something a little different. Something with the Copper sheet in my parts pile.

I picked up some more steel today for the Frame or "Rahmen"as they call it.
Here is the Design plan I have come up with: Its pretty rough, but not too bad for by hand then scanned into "paint"

Attachments

• beer cart frame PAINT FIXED.jpg
    beer cart frame PAINT FIXED.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 171

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
So Now that I have my plan and my steel.
I borrowed this POS Chop Saw. Previously I used a sawzall, then stepped up to a Skilsaw with a metal blade. This saw allows me to Mitre the corners and do 22.5° and 45° angles. So this build should be better than my previous.
However this saw is a POS, So to check before cutting I used my Speed Square to true the blade to a 45° with my work.
I also used the speed square to make a 22.5° template out of Sheet metal to double check the blade and my clamped work.

Attachments

• IMG_4460.jpg
    IMG_4460.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4459.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 35

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
And here are the results so far.
Nothing is welded or even ground smooth yet just laid in place.
I also have to cut the front pieces to length.
I like the results using this saw is fast and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_4458.jpg
    IMG_4458.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 54

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I got a saw sort of like that at a yard sale once, Chicago Electric I think it was. Is that a HF brand or something? Anyway, half the time you set it up and pulled the trigger nothing happened. Drove me insane. But who cares about me, this build is going to be awesome and perhaps inspirational.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Chicago Electric is a Harbor Freight brand.
I just checked this thing is actually and old Makita!
The handle part with the trigger is broken, and an Aluminum bar is electrical Taped on top to hold it together. But who cares My build is going to be Awsome! LOL

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Workin on it! and waiting on some Competition....

So one issue I have always had is lack of patience. I need to slow down and do things right the first time. Most things I make come out Crooked or twisted or warped. I have picked up some tricks from the forum and stuff. That should help keep things plumb, Level, Square and Straight.
The next few posts will be about some of that.
Thanks for lookin.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I do not have a fancy welding table or even the money for a heavy thick piece of steel to build on.
So I got this piece of OSB, I prefer it to plywood cause it is less likely to warp due to natural wood grain. I screwed 2 runners of 1.5" x 1.5" angle Iron to the bottom to further keep the work surface a flat level plain. I checked it with my 4 foot level and it is good.
It is important to start with a good flat surface so your frame comes out Flat and True and Plumb and Square and Level and and....
Later I can re-use the angle iron and the wood is a disposable work surface that I can write on, Grind on, Weld on, and screw my work down to. All without destroying our shop table.

Attachments

• IMG_4462.jpg
    IMG_4462.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4463.jpg
    IMG_4463.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 28

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I will now tack the front axle beam together.
It is a 3 piece design with the end pieces tipped up 10°.
So I cut them at 5° angles. both ends of the center and 1 side of each end.
The end pieces are 3" long at 10° this tips them up 5/8"
On my work board I drew 2 straight lines 5/8" apart.
I then clamped the top of the center tube on the bottom line.
When I set out the ends their tips just touched the top line.
This lets me know they are the correct angle. A tiny bit of grinding had to be done to ensure a tight fit at 10°.
I then tacked them together. and double checked. All good.
So I tacked the opposite side too. They will not be completely welded until the entire Frame is tacked and checked for squareness etc.

You can see I burnt the wood a little, Thats what it is for:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_4464.jpg
    IMG_4464.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 48

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can see I burnt the wood a little, Thats what it is for:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Starting a fire and burning down you're house, or possibly the whole state of Californy? :thumbsup:

Denny

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Good point. When I first joined here one of the members actually had a bad garage fire due to welding.
The wood is going to be more like a "Jig" to hold the frame while it is tacked. Just Tacked.
I would NOT recommend running a bead on wood.
Keep a Fire extinguisher handy any time you are welding Anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.