2016 - Arachnid

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexV

Reaction score
Someone nearby was selling quad parts.Got four shocks, spindles and matching front hubs. He had a **** torque convertor for sale. :( And I already spend loads of money on a new simple clutch from outside the country :mad2:

alexV

Reaction score
These moments are frustrating..
Anyways, here's day4 of the build: finished the mainframe and took some pics with the wheels. :D

Attachments

• TyFCQrD.jpg
    TyFCQrD.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 53
  • XowGzcn.jpg
    XowGzcn.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 55
  • S4Klz8P.jpg
    S4Klz8P.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 55
  • rxp57OP.jpg
    rxp57OP.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
  • nZkGuIj.jpg
    nZkGuIj.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 52
  • zRXFPUb.jpg
    zRXFPUb.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 68

alexV

Reaction score
Getting better at welding, but still have to grind and redo some of them.
Almost no jig was used for this part. Just by following the tips mentioned earlier (weld order: outside edge, inside edge, then sides) gives good results and no bending.

Cutting the compound angles for the side-rails was interesting: three engineers debating: cut this way, no that way, no, flip and then like this :D :D

alexV

Reaction score
Thank you.
Need chain and sprocket advice please.

1. Is chain size 428 strong enough? Because I found all the components in this size.
2. What do you think about an 1:6 fixed gear ratio, on 19 inch tires, centrifugal clutch, 9 HP engine. The clutch already has 1:2 reduction. Planning to get 12T small sprocket and 36T large sprocket. This gives the overall 1:6 ratio. There's the option to go larger/smaller on either sprocket.

The theoretical speed is 31 kmh when clutch becomes locked @2100 RPM
55 kmh @3600 max engine RPM

http://www.endmemo.com/physics/rpmlinear.php

Last edited:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Need chain and sprocket advice please.

1. Is chain size 428 strong enough? Because I found all the components in this size.
2. What do you think about an 1:6 fixed gear ratio, on 19 inch tires, centrifugal clutch, 9 HP engine. The clutch already has 1:2 reduction. Planning to get 12T small sprocket and 36T large sprocket. This gives the overall 1:6 ratio. There's the option to go larger/smaller on either sprocket.

The theoretical speed is 31 kmh when clutch becomes locked @2100 RPM
55 kmh @3600 max engine RPM

http://www.endmemo.com/physics/rpmlinear.php

With 19" tyres, I would gear lower than 6:1. I would go 7 or 8:1. Especially if you are using a centrifugal clutch

alexV

Reaction score
Day 5 of the build:

Started on the back end frame, where the engine and rear axle will be. Again friends helping :D

The bearings are the most heavy-duty I found. They are self-centering, and were cheap at 35 lei a piece (about 9 US$) from the local flea market

The hinges are from 4mm thick steel, joined with M16 hex screw (M stands for metric). Those are teflon washers in between. I have my doubts about this solution, maybe it will start to rattle.

Attachments

• zhMAuTV.jpg
    zhMAuTV.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 63
  • ZojQ4KL.jpg
    ZojQ4KL.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 51
  • tIbZfVo.jpg
    tIbZfVo.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 58
  • N4MIMJZ.jpg
    N4MIMJZ.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Q0p2iCu.jpg
    Q0p2iCu.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 49

alexV

Reaction score
Mocking up the seat again. That's my dad.

About that seat: although small, it has very wide rails. One rail is taller than the other, and lastly the rails are offcenter from the seat itself. I mean c'mon, stupid seat will take me a day to fit :roflol:

Attachments

• ZoMslzM.jpg
    ZoMslzM.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 50
  • SVupGka.jpg
    SVupGka.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 45

alexV

Reaction score
After 200+ welds, I present to you my finest :D

Attachments

• WY45Vh1.jpg
    WY45Vh1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 51
  • iqLLAy5.jpg
    iqLLAy5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 45
  • ma5wqyi.jpg
    ma5wqyi.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42

Desertduler

Reaction score
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=58640&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1430312206
I don't think your pivot points for your rear suspension has enough bearing surface.Have you thought about using some round tubing on one side and making a bushing out of delrin or some other material and installing it in the tubing and then using a bolt with a shoulder at least the length of the delrin bushing and not using the threaded part of the bolt as a bearing surface?

alexV

Reaction score
Nice work Alex. You welds are looking good. Don't get too ahead of yourself, as you need to be less than 50% done to enter the build off competition this year :thumbsup:

Again, thank you :cheers2:
Everyhing posted so far was done before I started my thread on this forum. Since I found out about the build-off I paused.

alexV

Reaction score
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=58640&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1430312206
I don't think your pivot points for your rear suspension has enough bearing surface.Have you thought about using some round tubing on one side and making a bushing out of delrin or some other material and installing it in the tubing and then using a bolt with a shoulder at least the length of the delrin bushing and not using the threaded part of the bolt as a bearing surface?

:iagree:After seeing the result, I agree with you; and thanks for the tip. Will replace just the bolts for now, with ones that are not threaded all the way.
After I see this machine run, I'll fix what is not right.

Desertduler

Reaction score
:iagree:After seeing the result, I agree with you; and thanks for the tip. Will replace just the bolts for now, with ones that are not threaded all the way.
After I see this machine run, I'll fix what is not right.
You are doing a great job :thumbsup: keep on going!

alexV

Reaction score
Guys, need advice about brakes: Are front drum-brakes decently safe for a 1 seat go-kart?

The front wheel hubs I sourced have built-in mechanical drum brakes, and in good condition. The project originally calls for rear hydraulic disc brake, nothing in the front. Such a break system will cost alot. I'm not looking for high-performance, just reasonable safety.

WDYT?

OzFab

Reaction score
What is track?

Track is the side to side measurement of the wheels; as wheelbase is the length between the wheel centres from front to back, along the vehicle, track is measured from centre to centre of the wheels across the vehicle...

As most of the weight will be in the rear, some type of brake on the rear axle is essential

Status
Not open for further replies.