2015 - Project Rocket Kart #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketkart

Reaction score
It has to be a major air temperature different then like really cold outside and have to be ran for a very long time without a muffler I'm just trying to tune mine ima put a muffler on it soon

With the rotex engine it was only 80 degres outside and a 2 stuke aircoold engine runs hotter than normal engines. Your engine may run a lil funny if you tune it now and not with the muffler. Back pressure will be addid when you put a muffler on than you will need to tune it some more.

rushking19

Reaction score
With the rotex engine it was only 80 degres outside and a 2 stuke aircoold engine runs hotter than normal engines. Your engine may run a lil funny if you tune it now and not with the muffler. Back pressure will be addid when you put a muffler on than you will need to tune it some more.

Yeah I already know that I'm just trying to get baseline tune, so when I get the muffler hooked up I can properly tune it

Desertduler

Reaction score
You may have not seen it but I have. Cold air will het them ring and crack them if not worp them. 20 yr aircraft mechanic. Father another 60 yrs. Seen it done on a rotex engine with only a 3" pipe and other engine as well. Dose that make any sense to you
Absolutely not! Have you never seen two stroke engines with stubby exhaust pipes? Cold air would not even have time for the millisecond that you think that the piston rings would be exposed to it to do anything, I say B.S. prove it! do you know how many chainsaw engines that are two strokes that are in use that have short stub exhaust? millions of them show me some facts,how about some technical pictures of different piston ring failures with examples of broken rings caused by cold air have you not ever seen vintage two stroke kart engines with stubby open exhaust either? And the list can go on.Total fiction! Not fact!

rushking19

Reaction score
Absolutely not! Have you never seen two stroke engines with stubby exhaust pipes? Cold air would not even have time for the millisecond that you think that the piston rings would be exposed to it to do anything, I say B.S. prove it! do you know how many chainsaw engines that are two strokes that are in use that have short stub exhaust? millions of them show me some facts,how about some technical pictures of different piston ring failures with examples of broken rings caused by cold air have you not ever seen vintage two stroke kart engines with stubby open exhaust either? And the list can go on.Total fiction! Not fact!

True but I'm not even worrying about that because ive seen tons of people run it open header and with megaphones on the exhaust poprts and plus it's only till I can get my exhaust header made

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
You may have not seen it but I have. Cold air will het them ring and crack them if not worp them. 20 yr aircraft mechanic. Father another 60 yrs. Seen it done on a rotex engine with only a 3" pipe and other engine as well. Dose that make any sense to you

I've done the math....you're senile! :stir:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I bet i have a bigger tool box than you!!!!!!!!!!!!

You lose....in SO many ways....you have tunnel vision....and IT'S. not clear....

EDIT:.....OH WAIT!!!!! I misread your post.....didn't realize you said "toolbox".....well...that just makes sense....the smaller the tool inside....the bigger the "box" is going to appear...

Crap man....just quit now....you have little chance of success against the Poboy!!.!!!

rocketkart

Reaction score
ok i believe the correct term is call'd COLD SEIZE. Is it caused by you not letting your engine warm up, not having a exhaust pipe, not having a air filter. Heat will always transfer from HOT to COLD. Heat will never seek the “Hotter” path but, always the “Cooler” path. The piston/cylinder area is the heat source and will be the hottest whenever the engine is running. The cooling system will ALWAYS be cooler in temp. ALWAYS! This states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. However, energy can change forms, and energy can flow from one place to another. The total energy of an isolated system remains the same. Now that is all out of the way…let’s relate this to a 2 stroke engine. One widely held belief is that a Cold Seize is the result of “mad” rushing cold air contacting the HOT, running, engine and the result is this cold coolant/ cold air is shrinking the cylinder walls in a manner such that the hotter piston will immediately fuse itself to the cylinder walls. This VERY unlikely!!

WHY?? Well.. see what we talked about above.

Example.... You are in Antarctica and you build a fire in the frozen tundra and snow. The outside temp is -30 F BELOW ZERO and the temperature of the fire is 1800 F. The fire is giving off heat energy and you and the surrounding air are absorbing it and getting “hotter”. NOW.. you decide to construct an igloo around the fire. You KNOW that the igloo is at least 32 F, if it were not it would not be frozen solid! What does cause an engine to cold seize
Glad you asked… A cold seizure is the result of the piston expanding too fast with respect to its cylinder. Your engine is constructed on many different types of materials all housed together and designed to work as one system. All internal engine components, when heated (running engine) will expand to some extent. This expansion is normal and unavoidable. Different components will expand at different rates and will expand to different extents. When you fire an engine after it has been able to completely cool down to a state where all internal components are at their “NEUTRAL” state.. meaning they are in no state of any expansion due to heat, these components will begin their expansion all over again. It is THIS expansion rate differences that will cause an engine to “Cold Seize”. So, you have an entire engine that is being heated and, as a result, ALL of its internal components are expanding at different rates. This INITIAL expansion is what you need to be mindful of to avoid a cold seize. Once these engine components have reached their full expansion, then the engine should be operating in its design spec and safe to run and run hard. If you choose to fire up a cold engine and immediately pour large amounts of heat into the components (i.e. high rpm) you RISK having these varying expansion rates collide and seize.symptoms after seize will be, cracked piston ring's, warped piston rings,warped pistons, damaged pistons,damaged connecting rod. Make sense?? OK It should be clear that it is VERY unlikely to have ANY coolant or cold air cause enough rapid cooling of a running engine to seize it… NEAR IMPOSSIBLE! Simply because the "magnitude" of the heat source is simply too great for the ,smaller, cooling source to over-come. It is like a spider vs. your foot! but can happen!!!!

rushking19

Reaction score
It can't be common at all tho because I just remember something, about my chainsaw go Kart days, my homelite chain saw had a short stubby exhaust no muffler, and alot of old vintage chainsaw and McCullough go Kart engines run no exhaust like this one and they run fine with no problems like this one and believe it or not I almost had my hands a motor almost exactly like this before.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DRfPPi7mr5o
And Russ's Lawnboy duraforce engines run short straight pipe without problems

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Found the website u got that from it says it not very possible at all

Desertduler

Reaction score
I am very familiar with two stroke engine cold seizure conditions and what causes it to happen, I have a garage full of two stroke engines of many types and I have owned and raced many two cycle engine powered motorcycles and I still have race bikes I also do two cycle engine porting and modifications for customers and I have built my own expansion chambers and I have converted two cycle engines over from piston ported induction to reed valve induction, I have worked on many snowmobiles and owned snowmobiles with two stroke engines,I am also versed on the complete repair and service of chainsaws,boat motors,line trimmers,blowers,motorcycles etc,and I make engines from scratch but I do not know everything by any means but I do run two heavy equipment shops and a weld and fabrication shop where we work on everything from very large asphalt milling machines down to small weed trimmers and I have 13 technicians and two fabricators / welders plus I have a small machine shop at my house, I am not trying to toot my own horn but when someone tries to blow smoke up my rear I do have a little experience behind me, as far as the size of a person's tool box I can say that I have hired mechanics that had small tool boxes with not all the latest greatest tools but they are naturals and could fix about anything and I have had to fire mechanics that had huge roll away tool boxes with integrated stereos in them with about every tool that you cold imagine in them that were not good mechanics, what I am trying to curtail here and voicing my opinion on is bad and false information that gets spread around like urban legend folklore that has no fact to it or is so far out there and makes no sense.
:backtotopic:

rushking19

Reaction score
Ok enough this this is a build thread not an argument, anyways I plan on getting wider tires for the go Kart so I can put down the power better without spinning the crap out of these tires ,I'm trying to get atleast a 15*6.00 4ply lawnmower tires if I can find a rim that can fit the bolt pattern of my hub

rushking19

Reaction score
So when bolting on the engine what modifications did you make to the mounting plate? Just cut it out and made a new one?

So I had the engine plate I already had that came with the engine, then I had two 90 degree angles that I got when swapping the Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp intek on the orange go Kart, so I welded a 90 degree to each side of snowmobile engine plate to elevate it, on the go Kart I chopped off the Old engine mount and turned it sideways and noticed that the bolts line for the front two engine bolts and I just took a plate and welded it for the back two this video Explans it better.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKc9M_zCJ8

rushking19

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using 40 chain instead because it's easier to find sprokets for it.plan of using this and custom drilling holes in it to bolt it to my hub and cut it in half to make it easier to install without taking the axle off.

Attachments

• IMG_20151012_143623.JPG
    IMG_20151012_143623.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20151012_143751.JPG
    IMG_20151012_143751.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20151012_143807.JPG
    IMG_20151012_143807.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.