2015 - Granddaddy build-off entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsonr81

Reaction score
Ok, after posting this in the wrong section TWICE, hopefully the third time's the charm.

So here's my entry to the build-off. Granddaddy from Spidercarts.

And then a slightly better picture with the wrong date. haha
[/URL][/IMG]

johnsonr81

Reaction score
Got some more mock-up done on the front end today. A-arm brackets are tacked in place and the rod ends installed. Waiting on the spindles, hubs and shocks that should be here later this week.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Don't worry you are also not the only guy to post in the wrong place, At least you have a valid excuse, Since it was like your third post on this forum! Anyway. Your kart is looking pretty good so far.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking kart so far. There are a few threads on the forum of people who have done the granddaddy build. These might help you out.

Last edited:

Desertduler

Reaction score
Looking good! I have a question, on the front suspension control arms is the round tubing being used as bushing material? or is there bushing material inside of them where they pivot on the bolts?

johnsonr81

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Looking good! I have a question, on the front suspension control arms is the round tubing being used as bushing material? or is there bushing material inside of them where they pivot on the bolts?

The plan is to use flanged bronze bushings that press into each end of the tubes. They're on the way. I'll take a pic of how it's set up. Right now the a-arms are just kinda sitting there with a bolt run through the tubes.

I'm pretty unimpressed with these brackets/weldments. I thought they would save me time but maybe not. The punched holes are way off from being straight through so when I get the bushings in the a-arms I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to elongate the bracket holes so they'll bolt up.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

The plan is to use flanged bronze bushings that press into each end of the tubes. They're on the way. I'll take a pic of how it's set up. Right now the a-arms are just kinda sitting there with a bolt run through the tubes.

I'm pretty unimpressed with these brackets/weldments. I thought they would save me time but maybe not. The punched holes are way off from being straight through so when I get the bushings in the a-arms I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to elongate the bracket holes so they'll bolt up.
I see, good idea, sometimes your just better off making your own stuff then you know it is done right! :thumbsup:

johnsonr81

Reaction score
So what may I ask are you going to use as a power plant?

That's a good question. I've been going back and forth on that. The plans call for a 10hp but I'd sure like more than that. I have a 27hp Kohler sitting here that I'd love to use but I don't know the first thing about how to transfer that power to the wheels. The 40 series Comet torque converter says it's only good up to 18hp so that's probably out. I'm up for any suggestions but I'll probably be more likely to go with a 420cc Predator engine.

Desertduler

Reaction score
That's a good question. I've been going back and forth on that. The plans call for a 10hp but I'd sure like more than that. I have a 27hp Kohler sitting here that I'd love to use but I don't know the first thing about how to transfer that power to the wheels. The 40 series Comet torque converter says it's only good up to 18hp so that's probably out. I'm up for any suggestions but I'll probably be more likely to go with a 420cc Predator engine.
There are plenty of options to choose from for sure.

johnsonr81

Reaction score
I would also say 27hp is maybe going to be a bit hard to manage and find a clutch for. Go with the 420

That's what I was thinking. Gonna go with the 420. The only reason I even thought about it was that I've already got it. Even if I could find a way to make it work it would probably cost more than if I just went with a proper engine and TC setup.

johnsonr81

Reaction score
It's been a busy week but I've managed to get a little more done on the front end. I've got the spindles and hubs installed. The shocks aren't mounted yet but that's kinda where they're gonna sit.

Started working on the rear sub-frame.

Should be getting some wheels and tires here pretty soon!

johnsonr81

Reaction score
Thanks Desertduler! The square tubing I ordered has a .083 wall thickness so I think that translates to 14 gauge, which is what the plans call for. I thought about getting some heavier stuff just to err on the side of safety but I didn't want to add a ton of extra (possibly unnecessary) weight. It looks like the entire frame once complete with roll cage should be pretty strong.

johnsonr81

Reaction score
I'm getting the sub-frame mocked up. It's just about ready for the axle, wheels and tires. I should have a rolling chassis here in the next couple weeks if I can get some more parts ordered here soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.