2 speed clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Im working on a 2 speed belt tensioner clutch.. but im having problems with it. First off i dont want to have to push it down to dissengage i want to push foward for the first gear.. put it in the middle and then pull back for the second gear. I was thinking of having the shift lever have a Detent and a plate for the detent to fall in. but im not sure that will be enough?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Yet another person trying it! My plan is(was...) to have a (clutch) pedal to disengage the tensioner and then use the gear shift to slide the tensioner pulley along a shaft to the correct position.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
I kinda cant use a clutch pedal. and i also cant use something that i need to remove my hands from the handle bars for a long time. its going to be used on a bike (check build thread) I think if i have a lever that goes to it like a jocky shift i can just pop it foward for the lower gear ratios and then back all the way for the higher. I think detents on the jockyshift lever should be enough and just have them going into a small hole (not all the way through) on a plate.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
i guess from the sound of it your not interested in setting it up so the shifter needs to be moved left and right out of or into slots in a plate, right? you want to just push the shifter forward and thats it, correct?

would you be ok with a button or lever on the shifter, or is it foot operated?

i think if you made a setup with something like a spring loaded ball that temporarily locked into holes it would work, but may need levers to aid it.

for the tensioner itself, i think the type of tensioner the 2/5 scale tank guy used would be perfect.

i have another idea which i'll go make a quick sketch of.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
The detents are the ball bearings with springs behind them. and button and levers would look way out of place on this. I was going to use something simmilar just two pullies the same size and then on the jackshaft they will be differently sized.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
heres the tensioner i was talking about, skip to 4:07,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWHAfaC-pPg

about the idea you have with the detents, if you can get it to hold in place strong enough it would probably work great!

heres he little idea i had, you would likely have to change the angles a bit, and maybe add some strength.
the bolt that the shifter rotates on has a spring on it which presses the shifter into the notches. then as you can probably guess, the notches are angled so its relatively easy to shift, but still holds the shifter in place.

Attachments

• shift lever.jpg
    shift lever.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2

anderkart

Reaction score
Hey freak, I checked out your build thread.

Instead of a detent ball lock system, how about having the jockey shift lever run along a guide plate that had cut outs shaped kinda like a lightning bolt to catch and lock the lever in any position you want.

The jockey shift levers hinge pin would just need to have a little slop (so the lever would tilt L/R a bit for shifting) and then have a strong spring pulling the jockey lever in towards the lightning bolt shaped detents in the guide plate.

So you'd just grab the jockey, move it sideways a bit to unlock, make your shift and it would automatically lock back into place wherever you had a notch cut into the guide plate.

I'd cut a bunch of extra notches into the guide plate to compensate for belt wear...

(edit: whoops, i see R97 already suggested the same thing while I was searching for my lightning bolt pic :D

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Alright i can give that a try if my spring loaded detents dont work im going to try the less bulkie set up first.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Oh by the way i love that guy with that sherman. His vids and tutorials are exactly how every tutorial should be online.

Status
Not open for further replies.