196cc baja minibike only idles with choke?

Reaction score
i have a 196cc baja minibike and ive encountered a problem
i picked up a big air filter kit to replace the airbox and after installing the bike wont idle unless choke is on
the bike dies if choke is removed or gave throttle, i tried drilling out main jet to allow more fuel but did not work
also tried adjusting pilot screw and no difference was made

the engine also randomly got a violent vibration during idle to the point gas tank as slapping up and down on one side where it has no mounts
i noticed when i first installed this filter theres no where for crank vent tube to go into filter like it did the airbox and i tried covering the tube with my thumb
witch caused the bike to not die when gave throttle but pre sure i still had the choke on and it was kind of weak power

im assuming its not getting enough fuel and too much air so i drilled out jet but dident help, maybe if i drill it out bigger it will
another thought was maybe the pilot jet is clogged even though its a new carb it sat for months with fuel in bowl

any help is appreciated i dont know much about carbs still learning
i attached a pic of the air filter i installed vs the original airbox
airbox has a tube that was a crank breather

Attachments

• 61MDLFM96IL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    61MDLFM96IL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2
  • airbox.jpg
    airbox.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
It is running too lean for some reason. I would start with the pilot jet being plugged or too small.
pilot jet was clogged up, cleaned it out now runs without choke and can be gave throttle,

switched out to biger main jet and replaced airbox with filter again and still runs,
although it is idling high i think as the centrifugal clutch keeps spinning rear tire, sounds high
and cant hold tire still with hand, i tried adjusting idle and thats when i noticed as i played with
idle screw some points wud produce the violent shake so maybe that just the engine trying to die? not sure

could be my clutch is wearing out im thinking why the rear tire is spinning although not sure,
usually at idle tire spins but u can hold it still with a hand

maybe its idling higher from more air and fuel possibly? when i give it throttle it rips something fierce would that be
a result of more air and fuel from new jet and replaced airbox for more open airflow? or carb needing tuned

thanks for the reply