18 hp vertical shaft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

toiletstalker

Reaction score
I have an 18hp B&S Motor. My Problem is I don't know if it would be a good idea to turn it up on it's side because it is a vertical shaft. I'm worried the lubrication wont work properly. Or would it just be easier to some how rig up a crazy gearing system to make it work? Any ideas?

Steve

jrjulien1

Reaction score
dont turn it sideways

u cant turn a vertical shaft engine sideways unless you redo the lubrication system and other stuff which is very complicated so its not worth it really if you wanted to use that engine on a go kart or minibike you would have to make some kind of gearbox using some pinion gears attached together or another similar method

hope this helps

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's almost always "better" to just buy a horizontal engine. I say almost because, well, part of the fun is hacking together crazy projects. But, yeah, you can't just turn it.

But, if you did, I'd love to see the project journal on that one. Take lots of pics! :)

toiletstalker

Reaction score
I was thinking that maybe using a belt drive where the belt goes from the shaft to some sort of clutch like thing then the wheels. Since the belt can twist, I think it is possible to make it go from vertical to horizontal. Well, if you know what I mean. And don't worry, if I do get this to work, I’ll be sure to take tons of pictures.

toiletstalker

Reaction score
Oh and im not sure if this helps anyone, but I have the codes and stuff for the engine.

Model – 407777

Type – 0128 E1

Code – 000119YG

If at the most you know some fo the specs for it.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah the belt thing will probably work in some way, it will just wear the belt more quickly than it should. Now, "more than it should" might mean that you get 10 hours of time out of it, or 1000. I have no idea.

jrjulien1

Reaction score
the only problem with the belt idea is that belts slip alot and under 18 hp it would burn out a regular belt fast even without bending it so for that to even have a chance you would have to use a grooved belt and a grooved pulley but the only problem with a grooved belt is that they are usually flat and dont bend sideways well

hope this helps

Burning Rubber

Reaction score
Just asking, but where did you get a 18HP engine from that is vertical shaft anyway? Does anyone know where you can buy a horizontal shaft engine with horsepower like that from?

jrjulien1

Reaction score
you can get horizantal engines like that from any used lawntractor as most have engines from 12hp all the way up to 25hp i often see these engines for sale in used items flyers {its called the bargin hunter in my area} often for less than 200 dollars

hope this helps

toiletstalker

Reaction score
That's exactly where I got it, from my friends ride on lawnmower. The governor broke so he gave the engine to me. It still works without it I just need to watch the throttle very carefully so the RPM doesn't go crazy. I'm just waiting for a new oil gasket. Now it just occurred to me right this second that I may be able to use the rear-end from his mower so I don't have to deal with the pulley stuff. Would that be possible? It should be easer where it was made for the vertical shaft engine. Yeah I can get the bargain hunter here too. And it can have some pretty "nifty" stuff in it.

jrjulien1

Reaction score
unfortunately you cant really use the rear end off of the mower because of two main reasons. one the gear ratio in the rear end is SO low that t would take you anout a month to get to the end of your driveway and two 99% of all lawntractor rear ends have no bearings inside them sp the axle rests right on the housing which would at high speed ruin the axle/housing the only thing i can suggest is finding out how lawntractor racers do thier racers and see if that would work

hope this helps

toiletstalker

Reaction score

Lead Foot

Reaction score
was it attached to the engine... It looks like an electric clutch, are there wires coming out of it?

toiletstalker

Reaction score
Yeah it did now that I think of it. And yes those are wires coming out of it in yellow shrink-wrap. At the end it has an "L" shaped plug with two prongs. Probably made just for the mower.

Lead Foot

Reaction score
yup, its an electric clutch, You power 12v to those leads ant it locks up. Its for the mower.
It would make a great burn out if you riged that to the drive wheel....

toiletstalker

Reaction score
Well we will just have to wait and see for now. I just want to get the engine back together then stick it back on the mower. My Next problem is I will need a pretty large belt, as in length to reach from the engine to the rear end. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.