15" 5 lug Wheels adapted to 3 lug 1" Axle?

Richard D

Reaction score
New guy here. I am planning a trike with a Harley Davidson Shovelhead engine. This will be for shows and putting around the neighborhood, probably never see over 30 mph. I was thinking I could machine adapters to bolt 5x4.75 Chevrolet pattern wheels to 3x2.5 racing kart hubs, and mount to a 1"x44" wide axle. Will an axle such as this hold 500 lbs cruising on smooth pavement?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
It will hold but you won’t be able to turn corners without a differential. If you are going to use the racing kart hubs they will not hold up. But the steel 4x4 golf-kart hubs will and are easily available at most suppliers.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
My kart's over 500 lbs., and has 4 cast iron pillow block bearings on a 1" solid steel Flexpruf axle with 4 x 4 hubs, and 8 bearings on 3/4" axle cut into 3 parts for jackshaft and swingarm. No differential, so as Denny said, going around corners is much harder with a straight axle. Inside wheel pushes, outside drags. Pic below of build start, shows bearings hanging before install and cutting, on little temporary wheels.
UCP205-16 Pillow Block Bearing 1" Bore 2 Bolt Solid Base (2PCS) (jeremywellindustry.com)
(10) 1" INCH DOUBLE SPLIT STEEL SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE SC100D | eBay
Galvanize 4 x 4 Wheel Hub (1" Bore) | K260050 | BMI Karts And Parts

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_145232.jpg
    IMG_20200111_145232.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

Richard D

Reaction score
The problem with 4x4 hubs, is I will need to adapt to 5 lugs, and one of the 4 lugs will be in the way. 5 lug wheels are a must, as this will be a somewhat "period correct" 60s-70s style trike, and I don't think I can find any suitable wheels in 4 lug. If this thing comes together, I will likely have some proper steel hubs machined at a later date. Consider this in the "mock up" stages, using affordable mass-produced parts to see what fits, proportion-wise, and make improvements later. Here's a picture of the concept:
Art Himsl Trike2.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
When Art Himsel built that he used a Harley Davidson 3 wheel servi-car. Notice the flat head engine. They also have a rear differential. Whiting Indiana and Chicago police departments used them. Mid 70’s the area I lived was flooded with Chicago’s sell offs. The truth is you would be better off looking for a servi-car chassis and diff.

Richard D

Reaction score
I do realize that. My body is coming from Chip Quinn in Arizona; he has the original Himsl molds. I am using a Shovelhead I got in a trade. Servicars aren't cheap anymore, thay take a LOT of work to mate up to a big twin(flip it backwards, machine the housing to clear the chain, re-weld the mounts, etc.) and after all that still aren't really strong enough to handle the Shovel's power. I'm just trying to knock something together for under a grand that will move under it's own power off and on a trailer at shows, maybe idle along in first gear in a parade, and later I'll spend the $3500 for a proper differential that can handle the power and be safe at road speeds.
Shovelhead Rt Side.jpgShovelhead Left Side.jpgAs you can see, this thing is pretty rough. If I can just get it to be a roller for now I'll be happy.
New bodies Chip is producing:
Art Himsl Trike Body.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That bike looks rough. Does it run yet? The only point I’m trying to make is you won’t be able to turn it without a diff. We have had guys come here and build drift trikes without the plastic sleeves on the rear tires. But they got to take it for that first ride. They usually end up tacoing the front wheel or hitting something.
Nice Vette by the way looks like my 75. Except mine looks like a bomb went off inside it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ok, I figured out a solution to this problem. Use the axle and 4x4 pattern hubs only drive one wheel the other hub have it bored for a bearing to fit. You will need to use golf kart brakes in the rear on both wheels. There are many mag wheels available for golf karts in some pretty big sizes with a set of Hoosier slicks mounted on them would give you the look.
This way you would be able to load and unload and be able to steer into a parking spot. You would get to do 30 mph. Use a 1” axle with 3/4” step downs fully keyed. You should be able to do all of this for about $1,000.00. Just don’t jump on it or you’ll see how fast keys and key ways will shear. Hope this helps.

Richard D

Reaction score
I talked to a fella today that can make two piece adapters so I can run 5 lug 15" wheels on the four lug hubs. I have maybe a dozen sets of wheels in 5 lug. I really want to take this to a local show run by some friends of mine in May. This is the 9th annual, I have never missed it and have always had a vehicle in the show.

I have seen the step-down axles, I agree that would be the way to go. I also see 530 sprockets are readily available. Do you have a link for the hub I need to make one side freewheel? I remember riding ATCs in the late 70s and we had to lift the inner wheel going around corners.

Richard D

Reaction score
They pulled my trike body from the mold today, and I just ordered my wheels and tires.
Astro Chrome Slot.jpg
800-15 Blue Streak.JPG
Once I have these parts in hand I can measure for the axle.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
What size are the Goodyears, and where did you get them? How much were they? That ratty chopper, the more I look at it the more I like it.

Richard D

Reaction score
800/15 Goodyear Blue Streaks. I don't know where they get the number from, but here are the specs:
Rim: 9.0"-11.0" wide
Diameter: 26.8"
Section Width: 13.1"
Tread Width: 10.1"
I got them for $120 each+35 each shipping, used with 3/4 tread, from usedracingtires.com. Not DOT approved, but will be just fine for this thing as it will be a show/putt around the neighborhood toy. That is just a photo I pulled off the internet from a retailer who sells these tires new for about $350.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The tread reminded me of the show rod tires from the late 60s-mid 70s. Just missing the blue stripe. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Gorgeous rims! The knockoffs, what are they for? Did that on my '80 Corvette, but just for show, make mine different. Please say yours aren't functional.