13 to 18 inch wheels

Barîb

Reaction score
So I just upgraded from 13x4 inch rear wheels to 18x8, I have a non-hemi predator 212cc. When testing the go kart, it seemed to have great acceleration (We are running an 11 tooth clutch to a 60 tooth sprocket on a live axle). With these 18 inch wheels, the calculation on top speed goes from 25 mph with the 13 inch wheels to 35 with these 18 inch wheels. Of course this theoretical top speed with these bigger wheels only results in worse acceleration. These 18 inch wheels do keep the sprocket nicely off the ground. Will these wheels greatly hinder our acceleration? If so what are some fixes without buying a cvt/torque converter if any? Thanks

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Any time you step up to a 18” wheel a cvt is recommend or you will have to lower your gear ratio to keep acceleration. But you loose your new found top end. Why the aversion to going to a CVT? May I ask?

Barîb

Reaction score
Well it’s not an impossibility, it’s just that I don’t have room for where my engine is mounted now

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
With creativity, involving grinding, hole drilling and clocking it can fit in very weird places.

I have even seen, where a custom tapered sprocket mount was made going to a jackshaft that had the tc mounted in the rear, while engine was in front, as well as some other wild things.

Gokarts don't have as much room as like the type I'm building....same concept.

Pre ETA....is engine stock rpms? Maybe with a mod 3 engine, creative gearing could still keep the top end and acceleration?? :unsure:

Since tourqe gets you going and the hp helps top end (more hp and 3000 more rpm)

Just throwing out discussion topics for you ;)

Last edited:

Barîb

Reaction score
Good point, however is there any sort of formula anyone knows of to calculate the decrease? I’m not sure about you guys, but I’m a measure once cut 5 times kinda guy, and I don’t know a formula for change in acceleration, all I know is rpm to mph.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
🤷‍♂️
I come from a time when you put a bigger engine in to go faster, then you changed gearing to not blow it up...then you put a bigger engine because the gearing slowed down top end...this was all pre computer, and an $$$ adventure :p

Smarter folks will chime in....

Barîb

Reaction score
Will governor removal do anything? Would removing the governor put unnecessary strain on the parts. I could probably do a stage 1 predator 212cc with a mikuni carb or a rejetted carb and a free flowing intake. Anything to get more torque really. Next cheapest option is like an 80 tooth from McMaster Carr, or even slap on a second 212cc. Any thoughts on governor removal? This is going to be more a of a hauling/ work kart. Room for 2 people and tools, thanks.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Sprockets can be had cheaper at gokart suppliers, BMI, GPS, MFG, etc. For your stated use it doesn't seem you need a lot of top end. I'd gear down the ratio like you said first, cheapest option, then see after if it does what you need. Remember, bigger sprocket requires adding chain links unless you've got a really huge amount of adjustment available.

Barîb

Reaction score
Will a cvt do the trick? I’m looking into it and am convinced that’s what I am going to get. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
CVT's multiply low end torque for certain. Governor deleting does zero for torque for certain.
Governor only keeps you from spinning up the top end beyond the governor's set amount of rpm. Deleting it only lets your top speed increase after you get to where the governor's limiting range used to be, doesn't help you get up to it.
CVT does give slight improvement in top speed also, just not like the torque improvement.

Barîb

Reaction score
Well, I’ll give it a go when it’s ready, and if it doesn’t have enough, then I’ll move the engine and put in a cvt

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO....with a gear ratio of 5:1, you are going to have a hard time with acceleration and burning up your clutch. Your clutch will be slipping constantly and its lifespan will be greatly reduced. It is like taking off in 3rd gear in a manual car.

If you get a CVT, I would still try change the gear ratio to about 6-7:1. If you are keeping the CC, then you will in my opinion definitely have to gear lower

Here is some more info to have a look at

Last edited: