10 HP w/7 Leaf Modules -- Right Ballpark?

donideli

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm totally new to DIY karting. But I’m a mechanical engineer by training, and DIYGKs seems like THE place to go! I've been thinking of converting a 2-seater go-kart to electric. I’ve been reading about motors and batteries, and am converging on a couple. But as a newb, I’d be grateful for any first-pass feedback.

For the motor, I’ve found some 10-HP brushed DC variations which seem to give pretty good power w.r.t input. Here's one example.

And for the battery, I’m considering a unit built from 7 Nissan Leaf G1 modules (from TechDirect Club here), which is ~48V overall. According to an email from the supplier, this pack, with the BMS, can provide 60A continuous, with bursts (about 6 seconds) of 120A. So, with the motor above, that should give about 65 lb-in of torque continuously with 140 lb-in bursts (assuming I’m reading the performance curve correctly…). And it's 66amp-hour, so I **think** that means I could run it at 60A for just over 1 hour (?).

For lack of a better term, does this combo pass the “laugh-test”? Do you think it’d be able to power the kart+occupants (I’m betting ~600-700lbs total), with any enjoyable velocity/zip? For a decent range? And without a motor controller (for cost’s sake)?

I know it's a bit of a vague/early-stages question (tons to figure out still), but thanks for any thoughts you have!

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
You might be disappointed with trying to move 600-700lbs with a battery rated 60A continuous @ 48v and I expect the battery will be overloaded under moderate acceleration at which point the BMS will cut power (hopefully). That motor will draw more peak power from the battery than the chart shows. I would suggest a different battery configuration (or different battery) and perhaps a brushless motor to stretch the battery capabilities further. I don't have experience with those Leaf modules, but I think some of the others here like Functional Artist do.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy :)
That's a very powerful motor :thumbsup:
I got one on my ElMoto ;)
Check 'er out (lots of info you may be interested in) :cool:

But, your gonna need a speed controller, to tell that motor, what you want it to do (discussed in the thread)

Also, everything I've heard, says to avoid the Leaf Gen 1 battery modules
(they were supposed to have issues with capacity loss, something ya can't really check too easily when buying used battery modules)

I have a 48V 2kWh (~45AH) section of a Chevy Volt battery (~$450.00) powering my bike

These Chevy Volt modules can easily put out well over 100 amps
...& I have ridden ~25 miles (~45 min) consistently/many times :sifone:SAM_5998.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_5999.JPG
    SAM_5999.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 1

donideli

Reaction score
Mmm, yeah, I was thinking brushed so I could get away without a controller, but sounds like most folks use a controller regardless, so with that I guess I may as well go brushless. Thanks for the pointer - I'll start looking around at what's out there.

And wow, the Leaf G1's reputation is that good, huh 😉. Hard to buy it after that raving review lol. The Chevy Volt pack sounds like a good idea -- thanks for the link, I'll take a look. 100A is a lot! I see you're running it on a batt-bridge rather than a full BMS -- I didn't even know such a thing existed, I'm looking forward to reading the thread you made in more detail. Might be just the ticket...

(May be a while before I can dig deep into this...balancing a few 'projects' while I'm stuck at home...)

Sweeeet ElMoto bike, btw! Looks like a blast. Ever consider removing the exhaust pipe just to make a statement, haha?