1’ clutch 420 chain tooth sizes?

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Hello all I bought a clutch setup for 420 chain and have it all together and running flawless. The problem is the 14 tooth clutch and the 48 tooth sprocket. There is just enough bottom end to get going. I got onto the road and idled along at about 25mph afraid to touch the throttle. Do they make any other clutch tooth count then 14 or am I out of luck? I don’t wanna ditch this setup. And would rather go much smaller on the clutch side. Rather then larger on the wheel side.81C49F14-756B-4619-9F51-471F17E97733.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I read 420 chain will fit a 41 sprocket.. so on eBay they sell a 1” 10 tooth clutch that runs 41 chain so it looks like I got my answer.

Millwright

Reaction score
What engine are you running,?
Wheel size?
Approximate weight of cart & driver?

Millwright

Reaction score
I'm curious how much of a difference the 10T will make in place of the 14T. Post your results!!
There is less than. 3/8" difference on the radius of the sprocket. Just wondering how much if a leverage advantage that will be.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
What engine are you running,?
Wheel size?
Approximate weight of cart & driver?
The cart couldn’t way more then 250 pounds with me on it. Mods include an open exhaust with a mikuni vm22 and I bolted a mag coil to it. It is a kohler k181s 8hp engine. I think your right the 14 to 10 tooth probably won’t help. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with the clutch weights also. I’m guessing gearing it different won’t help if the weights don’t kick till 2200rpm’s

Millwright

Reaction score
You very well might be right! I havnt done enough hands on expirementing to say for certain.

Calculations for speed with ratios alone is one thing, having the HP to make it happen is another.

I can't imagine 4 teeth, or .32" of leverage, taking a cart from " not working" to "works awesome"

I'm thinking a way more dramatic gear change, or more power is in order.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
You very well might be right! I havnt done enough hands on expirementing to say for certain.

Calculations for speed with ratios alone is one thing, having the HP to make it happen is another.

I can't imagine 4 teeth, or .32" of leverage, taking a cart from " not working" to "works awesome"

I'm thinking a way more dramatic gear change, or more power is in order.
Actually it was all in my imagination.. the cart does struggle a bit off the line but not much at all. The clutch locks not long after that. And I can keep the engine rpm’s very low while going really fast. After running some hot laps I have completely changed my mind. The gearing is perfect. I have been tearing around my yard all day and not one single issue 👍 edit: the only problem I really have is how fast it is. You idle down the road till the clutch locks then very very lightly pressthe gas and I’m doing 30 it is a tad wobbly at super high speed.