New Carter bros - some issues

Abchoppers

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got a Carter bros 2 seater for my kids, model 2336. It’s all original with the 6 hp tecumseh power sport. I just have a couple of small issues that are stumping me

1. The cart makes a loud vibration noise under acceleration. It doesn’t really shake the kart much, but it is loud. It happens when riding it, or when it’s up on blocks and I accelerate. I narrowed it down to the whole floor pan that’s making the noise. Do you guys think a sound deadening material under the floor pan would work?

2. The kart has a 20 series torque converter. Upon initial takeoff there seems to be some slippage. Once it gets going it goes away. Is that normal with torque converters?

3. steering all looks solid and correct. Good air pressure in tires. Yet the steering seems to fight me a little when riding around, can’t quite pinpoint it, anything common on these I should look for?

4. does the brake pedal have to have a return spring? I don’t have one

I also picked up two bad *** old school manco single seats, I’ll post pics of those soon!

thanks in advance!
Ryan

Attachments

• 7956DB0E-5FFD-467B-B4C8-8F5CB6DB2E64.jpeg
    7956DB0E-5FFD-467B-B4C8-8F5CB6DB2E64.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • A8DDEAB5-E373-4881-A537-2796205A83D2.jpeg
    A8DDEAB5-E373-4881-A537-2796205A83D2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 7252FACA-6E73-4EAD-99EF-875514A67551.jpeg
    7252FACA-6E73-4EAD-99EF-875514A67551.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

FlyFrog

Reaction score
Welcome, as for the rattling just put a few tacks down the floor board to hold it steady, but for everything else you will have to wait for others to chime in

Popzhd

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got a Carter bros 2 seater for my kids, model 2336. It’s all original with the 6 hp tecumseh power sport. I just have a couple of small issues that are stumping me

1. The cart makes a loud vibration noise under acceleration. It doesn’t really shake the kart much, but it is loud. It happens when riding it, or when it’s up on blocks and I accelerate. I narrowed it down to the whole floor pan that’s making the noise. Do you guys think a sound deadening material under the floor pan would work?

2. The kart has a 20 series torque converter. Upon initial takeoff there seems to be some slippage. Once it gets going it goes away. Is that normal with torque converters?

3. steering all looks solid and correct. Good air pressure in tires. Yet the steering seems to fight me a little when riding around, can’t quite pinpoint it, anything common on these I should look for?

4. does the brake pedal have to have a return spring? I don’t have one

I also picked up two bad *** old school manco single seats, I’ll post pics of those soon!

thanks in advance!
Ryan
Hi,
This is really weird! I have a kart and have been trying to find out what it is! I haven't had much luck and it's so frustrating! I was reading your post and it's like you were talking about my kart and the things going on with it!
All the same things are happening!
I am hoping we can talk more real soon!
I have to go for now, very sorry? Thanks

panchothedog

Reaction score
The vibration or the floor pan is pretty common. Remember it's a single cylinder engine on a kart with no suspension, and a large flat piece of steel welded across the bottom. Some more welding might help, but only if it is loose now. I have a Yerf - Dog kart that was doing the same thing. Cut and glued some indoor - outdoor carpeting that had a sort of rubberized backing on it and it helped quite a lot. Looks good too.

Abchoppers

Reaction score
The vibration or the floor pan is pretty common. Remember it's a single cylinder engine on a kart with no suspension, and a large flat piece of steel welded across the bottom. Some more welding might help, but only if it is loose now. I have a Yerf - Dog kart that was doing the same thing. Cut and glued some indoor - outdoor carpeting that had a sort of rubberized backing on it and it helped quite a lot. Looks good too.
Yeah it doesn’t seem to be something wrong, just figured if I could quiet it a bit that would be good. I like the rubber backed outdoor carpet idea. I also just ordered some rubber washers to try under the engine. I’ve read conflicting opinions on them, with some saying it allows the engine to move, so we’ll see

redflash

Reaction score
your steering issue may just be a solid axle issue. particularly on pavement a solid one piece axle, just wants to go straight. On dirt its not as noticeable. Thats why we speed and slide thru turns on dirt. On pavement the front tires want to scuff and go straight.

Da Redflash

Abchoppers

Reaction score
your steering issue may just be a solid axle issue. particularly on pavement a solid one piece axle, just wants to go straight. On dirt its not as noticeable. Thats why we speed and slide thru turns on dirt. On pavement the front tires want to scuff and go straight.

Da Redflash
I noticed when I push it in the garage that it drags the rear tires and only wants to go straight like you stated, I was wondering if that had to do with a solid axle. I’m probably just not use to it, kids probably won’t even notice it

redflash

Reaction score
If you were building it for you, you might consider what a few of us have done.....you tube has instructions on altering a miata differential for a go kart, that gives you a rear axle that turns corners .......costs only about 25-30 dollars for a junkyard miata rear end and some creativity to finish and install

Da Redflash

panchothedog

Reaction score
On the rubber washers, or even pads under the engine I am not a fan of them
for the very reason you stated. Nice to have everything locked down good and
solid.

Abchoppers

Reaction score
If you were building it for you, you might consider what a few of us have done.....you tube has instructions on altering a miata differential for a go kart, that gives you a rear axle that turns corners .......costs only about 25-30 dollars for a junkyard miata rear end and some creativity to finish and install

Da Redflash
Sounds really cool, maybe in the future

Abchoppers

Reaction score
On the rubber washers, or even pads under the engine I am not a fan of them
for the very reason you stated. Nice to have everything locked down good and
solid.
I thought maybe I could add something to the mounting plate to stop it front sliding forward or back, I have a feeling I’m going to end up ditching the washers in the end

Abchoppers

Reaction score
Setting the toe on the front tires would help a bunch too. They are toed out way too far. 1/8”toe in would be the ideal setting.
That was my next move. I saw a guy used a straight wood board with back tires to set them. Thanks for the heads up

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That method will not work for karts because of the differing widths front to rear. What will work better is to mark the center of each tire completely and measure at the front of the tire and rear of the tire. Make them both =. Then decrease the front measurement by 1/8”.