series 30 lineup issue

Rat

Reaction score
Don't know what you mean by if I can find one with the brake built in. A sprocket is a single piece and has nothing to do with the brake.
Makes me wonder if he's building a motorized bike?

The whole brake adapter sprocket parts totally does exsist in that realm. Generally the go on a 6bolt MTB hub and allow the gear to be mounted behind the rotor by offsetting the sprocket behind where the rotor usually sits and also pushing the rotor out towards the frame stays.

Following Pancho's lead, and elaborating.

I've got a custom cycle geared at 3.6:1 (10>36) this is only Slightly overgeared for 26×2.5 tires (63-559) but it is still enough that with 10-12hp if the engine gets the chance, it will twist the engine slightly counterclockwise (I currenly have bent deck bolts to replace from that).

The rear section and dropouts have been modified so that when the wheel goes in, it has nowhere forward to move to... this has lead to a few bent and/or busted axles.

I know my options around this, but currently all projects are on hold as well as explaining my situation and fixes further would just be entirely a thread hijacking.

The real point is the same as Poncho has expressed...even on my set up being geared to far below 4:1 (10>40) has destructive consequences.

For a kart with Itty bitty 12" tires at most 5:1 is going to yield the best balance of acceleration and top speed without ripping itself apart or premature wear to the driveline.

RUNNING A COMET30 OR COMET40 SEVERELY OVERGEARED WILL EAT SEVERAL BELTS DAILY AND/OR BUST YOUR DRIVE CHAIN!!!

Reactions: von

von

Reaction score
yep i think u r right, BUT i have put a series 30 turque converter on now it doesn't take off very well it has a 27 tooth drive iv been told i need a 60 ...not wanting fast need power more than speed probably be riding in the pasture more than paved road

Karttekk

Reaction score
I think you're gonna have trouble getting the kart to where you want it. The whole drivetrain setup is poorly designed. You'll need to replace the axle to a live axle or somehow switch it over to a one wheel drive setup with the sprocket & drum as a unit. Personally I would cut my losses and sell it. Not worth it. Pick up a kart with the basic small drive sprocket and larger driven 60 tooth or so sprocket. Simple design, parts are readily available, easier to work on.

Karttekk

Reaction score
You'll need to weld bearing hangers, buy an axle, sprockets, the whole works to make it a live axle setup or convert it to a one wheel drive. Throw the kart on Craigslist and grab something where you can use the torque converter you have.

Karttekk

Reaction score
You can upgrade the sprocket you currently have to make the kart go a blazing 13 MPH!

von

Reaction score
just too clearify, it is a single wheel drive and it is a gear brake hub combination drive, it's drivable now ! got it for free. have less than $80 in it now so if i find the 60 tooth gear/hub combo change it out. and if it pulls myself and a grandkid at 13-15mph crossing the cow pasture it will be a blast!! cow pasture if ruff/bumpy (if you folks never been across one) so cant go fast anyway!!!

Karttekk

Reaction score
Yep, it's a Youth kart more or less. I'm just saying you may not be able to use a 60 tooth sprocket the way it's currently setup without some modification. If it works out share some pictures or videos so others can see what you did and how you did it. Set the tire pressures a little lower than recommended and use some high density seat padding to ease the rough ride!

Karttekk

Reaction score
Watch this Kart Fab video, look how the chain & sprocket is setup. Maybe it will help you design something similar on your kart.

von

Reaction score
yes i am worried about ground clearance also ! if i gear it low enough it might get a bigger set of rear tires ...not sure HOW but I'll cross that bridge later been looking at the stage 1 upgrade also but wont do it unless needed after the 60 install

von

Reaction score
I'm at a loss about the series 30 turque converter never had one dont know what too expect of it, i know it has a 10 tooth drive gear to go to axle gear (mine is 27 tooth) with a predator 212 (1st one I've had also) so im listening to everyone and trying to make an educated guess LOL if it tops out at 15mph or so I'm good with it long as it will take off on bumpy/ruff terrain if a 60 tooth with brake hub will get me that then I'm great !

Karttekk

Reaction score
A torque converter is a variable speed "clutch." Instead of shoes that grab a drum from centrifugal force, there are sheaves and a belt that moves up and down between the sheaves that changes operator speed. As you give it gas, the drive clutch sheaves squeeze together as the driven clutch sheaves spread apart letting the belt move up & down depending on throttle speed. The 30 Series drive clutch or pulley is asymmetric or has a beveled or angled outer sheave and the belt is beveled on one side.

redflash

Reaction score
It works like an automatic transmission, and increases speed with throttle response. comes with 10-12 tooth sprocket for the drive......and generally you should have a 60 tooth sprocket on the axle shaft. that gives you the best ratio which is generally 6:1 (10 tooth...60 tooth)
The variable to this formula will be weight of kart, weight of driver, size of tires, and terrain you drive on. acceleration and top speed are secondary considerations you don't need to be much concerned about at this point.

30 series for small block ( under 10-12 hp) and 40 series for big black engines ( 15-25 hp). There are other series for the v twins.

Da flash

Karttekk

Reaction score
Some 2014 and up Toyota Corollas use a CVT or variable drive transmission. Same concept as a kart torque converter. Sorry if I went off topic a little here.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Mr. Von, nobody is guessing about the performance of your kart with a predator 212 and 10-60 gearing using a 30series torque converter. It is one of the most popular set ups going. Stock with governor it will run on the 28 to 32
mph range BUT will have all the low end grunt you need. That is the beauty of a torque converter. Hopped up and governor removed you can expect another 10
to 14 mph depending. A point I would really like to drive home is the fact that you intend to use it off road and drive it slow over rough terrain and it is only one wheel drive. You are going to be REALLY DISAPPOINTED, loss of traction and litterly getting stuck to the point where you have to get out pull the kart to where it can get traction again. You got it for free. Don't know if you are poor or
just trying to do it on the cheap, but take the advice from Karttekk and convert
it to a live axle. It will probably cost about $250 to buy everything you need and
another $50 for the welding of the bearing hangers. I wasn't trying to be
bragadosious when I mentioned the 5 karts and one mini bike that I own. I am
a grandfather myself ( 74 ) and have 5 grandkids and I find it very rewarding taking them out to the desert to go riding. It also keeps Grandpa pretty popular
which to me is Priceless. FWIW all of mine are two seat with roll cages like yours but they all are live axle ( two wheel drive ) with torque converters. I wouldn't own a one wheel drive kart for off road.

von

Reaction score
I'm good at taking advice even more so when I'm not positive on what I'm doing thats why I've been asking all the questions. i have the money..
i will do it the cheap way if it works !! probably leave it one wheel drive for now so may stay on pavement, and i dont think its bragging..tells me experience you have been there done that i am listening and learning .