Cable to carb attachment question

Seventy Won

Reaction score
My Streaker cart was missing a lot of stuff when it was given to me. Right now I'm trying to work out what was originally between the control rod and the engine. It appears there was a cable but all attachment points for it are missing.

I believe this part should secure the cable to the control rod. https://www.bmikarts.com/RodCable-Coupler-with-Nut-Washer_p_7466.html

I'm not sure what was originally used to attach the cable to this though (see pic). What would you recommend?

Attachments

• 101_1075.JPG
    101_1075.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
That rod/cable coupler only works if the rod through it fits snugly in the hole, so the bolt doesn't thread down too far before tightening against the rod. It's supposed to leave the cable hole completely out of the nut after being tightened. The 3/8-24 jam nut they say it needs is a very thin nut to fit (with a washer also) between the cable hole and the bolt's head, and tightens down to squish the cable between the washer and the rod nut. If not perfect, I believe it'll kink up the cable end, be sloppy, I don't like it.
I recommend springs first, strong ones at both ends, at the throttle lever on the motor and at the gas pedal. Then here's a good connection kit for the cable to the throttle lever..............2-Piece Throttle Clevis | KM191 | BMI Karts And Parts................and the type of conduit termination for that end that I use.........Conduit Retainer - Straight | AZ2386 | Azusa 2386 | BMI Karts And Parts................Because of your hardware link above, I must assume the throttle rod is not threaded. There's where some creativity can come into it, just custom fabbing up something in place of that fitting. Where a long cable wasn't near long enough for my current kart, I fabbed up a connection for the cable to the rod I fabbed up, with retainer, nuts, spring, mounts, all that, see pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_192136.jpg
    IMG_20210125_192136.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210125_192000.jpg
    IMG_20210125_192000.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

Seventy Won

Reaction score
That is a nicely sorted and well engineered set-up you have.

I should have taken pics but, yes, my throttle rod is not threaded. It is a 3/8" rod with a flattened end. The end has a hole drilled in it. Your pics have given me some ideas. Thanks for posting.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
I ran into issues myself but what I did was get some bicycle break lines (2 for $10) then I bought all the connections and stops. One end is connected to the throttle and the other I have connected to a bar that's connected to the gas pedal. My bar is spring loaded but if it wasn't, Ace Hardware sells pedal springs. I'll try to get pics tomorrow if it's not raining.