My Ken-Bar Streaker build.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I just wanted to add a little humor. Not make a commentary on Commiefornia. The kart looks great by the way! You are doing one heck of a job on it. It is going to look so nice you’ll be afraid to ride it and terrified of putting that first scratch on it. Keep up the good work!

Seventy Won

Reaction score
I just wanted to add a little humor. Not make a commentary on Commiefornia. The kart looks great by the way! You are doing one heck of a job on it. It is going to look so nice you’ll be afraid to ride it and terrified of putting that first scratch on it. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do with it when done....if I ever finish it. It has been a really good excuse to buy new tools though (the plating kit and vibratory tumbler). LOL!

I restored my '97 Bontrager Mountain bike a couple years ago. Put a LOT of money into it and haven't ridden it since.

I restored my Dads old 3-wheeler. I've only started it 3-4 times since I finished it in 2010.

I may go through it again and re-do the hardware. It's not perfect. My Dad bought it new in '82 and so I remember what it's supposed to look like. It was literally garbage when my friend gave it to me. It should have been thrown away.

I might part with the cart when done. I don't have an emotional attachment to it like I do with the bike and the 3-wheeler. We'll see.

Attachments

• pictures057.jpg
    pictures057.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
  • pics3047.jpg
    pics3047.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 6
  • pictures070.jpg
    pictures070.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Finishedpart2004.jpg
    Finishedpart2004.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0543.JPG
    100_0543.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Eeeek! Just seeing the pic of that 3-wheeler is giving me the heebie-jeebies. One of those things got me laid up in bed with torn up feet for my whole first honeymoon in Panama City Beach.
I know, I know, you're supposed to spend your honeymoon in the rack together anyway.

Marcoli Kartwerkz

Reaction score
Pic. 1. Differential assembly was a tad trickier than I expected. The sprocket will only mount to one side. I sealed it with a tube of black RTV, packed both side full of grease and then had to do it all over again..twice.

Pic. 2. The new jack shaft assembly is perfect. New bearings, new shaft and new bearing pillow. Cast iron too! (as recommended by a member here). Good call Sir!

Pi.c 3. New pedals looked nice but had under-sized holes for my control rods. These holes were also located at the edge of the pedal and could not be simply drilled over-size. The solution? Hand file them with my chain saw file. My hands still hurt.

Pics. 4 and 5. The seat rails wouldn't even move last month. They were rusted solid. A soak in Muriatic acid, a quick wash in de-greaser and a 5 amp soak in the zinc plating bath brought them back to life....mostly. My unit ran out of power on them. Also, plating the outside is easy. Plating the insides was nearly impossible. They sure look good but in the end I decided to replace them with new. You can't save everything.
The kart came out really nice. I’m currently starting a restore on the same cart I’m thinking of replacing the seat rails where did you find them?

Seventy Won

Reaction score
The kart came out really nice. I’m currently starting a restore on the same cart I’m thinking of replacing the seat rails where did you find them?

Thanks! I plan to finish it up this spring.

These are the seat rails I used. Similar ones can be found around the 'net. Measure twice before ordering.

Marcoli Kartwerkz

Reaction score
Thanks! I plan to finish it up this spring.

These are the seat rails I used. Similar ones can be found around the 'net. Measure twice before ordering.

Hey thanks for the reply I’m going to start on the kart this weekend . I’m waiting on engine parts to arrive . I’ll create a thread and post along the project.

Kryanl2986

Reaction score
This is my first cart. Since you guys have kindly answered a few of my dumb questions, I thought I'd post up a few pics of my progress.

It was given to me by a friend. It had been given to him by one of his friends to repair in small engine class in High School. According to my friend "I never touched it. We just goofed around in small engine class". "The guy who gave it to me told me that all he thought it needed was a carb".

He had tried to give it away but the guy never came for it. I asked about it one day and it became mine on the spot.

I didn't know if it was junk or not. The front tires were badly cracked. The rear tires had multiple plugs and didn't hold air. The carb, elbow and air box were missing. The battery, key and seat were also long gone. The front wheel bearings were bad. The rear axle bearings were questionable. One brake lever (on the caliper) was literally broken. The gas peddle had been cut/broke and re-welded...poorly. The fuel tank was badly cracked. The rope starter was missing.

Midway into the resto I learned that the jack shaft was shot. The bearing nearest the drive had gone south and allowed the shaft to wobble. This wobble was masked by the belt tension. This wobble eventually cracked the frame under the bearing pillow block.

The rust was pretty extensive.

Despite this, I'm redoing it.

I'm working on a ken bar myself just got it all stripped the motor mount was junk can't really find one for it im putting a 420cc motor back on it does anyone know where to get parts for these I'm new to this I will post pics once I figure it out

Kryanl2986

Reaction score
Thank you Denny I have checked out BMI they do not have the motor mount I need. I will check out the other. The mount that came off of it should have had a bearing holder welded to it but someone had cut it off not sure exactly how it goes back on I was going to fabricate one but need a clear picture of how it is welded on so if anyone has a clear picture of that please post. Thanks again

Seventy Won

Reaction score
I hope it's OK to bump this thread with a few pics...

Progress has been slow. Throttle is hooked up, brakes adjusted, air filter added and new seat pan constructed. I have the original Ken-Bar seat pan but it's a big huge heavy piece and I'm not convinced that I need it.

The seat is a generic $50 boat seat from Amazon. It's a bit taller than I'd prefer but it's quite comfy and looks great. The red is a near perfect match to the engine.

What's left? I need to get a battery, wire-up the start circuit and add an extra kill switch. The air filter doesn't filter the air. Dust goes right through it. The more I think about it, the more I want to do. LOL.

Attachments

• 102_0069.JPG
    102_0069.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 102_0070.JPG
    102_0070.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 102_0071.JPG
    102_0071.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 102_0079.JPG
    102_0079.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 6

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I hope it's OK to bump this thread with a few pics...

Progress has been slow. Throttle is hooked up, brakes adjusted, air filter added and new seat pan constructed. I have the original Ken-Bar seat pan but it's a big huge heavy piece and I'm not convinced that I need it.

The seat is a generic $50 boat seat from Amazon. It's a bit taller than I'd prefer but it's quite comfy and looks great. The red is a near perfect match to the engine.

What's left? I need to get a battery, wire-up the start circuit and add an extra kill switch. The air filter doesn't filter the air. Dust goes right through it. The more I think about it, the more I want to do. LOL.
Well how about that. I might have to pick me up one of those seats for my Streaker if I decide not to make one custom.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Should have left the kart red (or repainted red) so that goofy red boat seat would at least match. :roflol:

Seen too many boat & lawnmower seats on redneck go karts on craigslist. 🤭 So naturally I am biased, but I'm also a purist at heart.

The air filter doesn't filter the air. Dust goes right through it.

Ouch. Those filters are commonly used with a foam pre-filter and sometimes with an outer mesh 'sock' as well. I've looked through those filters, they're very porous. 😐 Yikes man, get a better filter and inspect the engine while you're at it.

Everyone wants the 'performance' cone filter sometimes just for the 'cool factor' but the stock air filter (box) assembly is actually quite adequate. They're really not as restrictive as you think and they will keep working effectively even if coated on the outside with dust, sand, wet mud, water/ice/snow, without sucking all that into the engine. Proper filtering is especially critical for the sand lot you're playing in. A continual diet of sand + dust with that lackluster filter is like adding a handful of it into the crankcase.

I've seen people around the web and on Youtube running the stock air filter assembly on karts that are faster than yours, so there's that.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Why do you have the performance intake/filter but you're not running a performance exhaust? It looks like you're using only half of the Stage 1 Kit. It is usually understood to include: header pipe, air filter adapter, air filter, foam pre-filter, larger-than-stock carb jet and all the gaskets and hardware.

You gotta have it on both ends, really, to see benefit. Is the intake the only mod to this engine?

Edit: Nevermind, you just added an aftermarket carb to get it running.

Last edited: